It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:01 pm


Holding onto "junk silver"

Becoming self-sufficient
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Colin

  • Posts: 162
  • Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:44 pm

Holding onto "junk silver"

PostFri May 10, 2019 6:47 pm

I don't know how many of you have ever even heard of the term "junk silver". But knowing what it is and holding on to some of it could make a big difference in tough times. What junk silver is, is silver coins minted before 1965. With current silver prices a pre 1965 quarter is worth about 5 dollars. A dime is worth about 3 dollars. In the future, as the economy begins to collapse the silver content will hold value. Just like investing in gold, silver will be a good investment for your family's future. The nice thing about junk silver is you pick it up every day at face value. I look though my change every day and you would be surprised how often I find some pre-65 silver.
Offline
User avatar

Will Williams

  • Posts: 2246
  • Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Holding onto "junk silver"

PostFri May 10, 2019 7:51 pm

Colin wrote:I don't know how many of you have ever even heard of the term "junk silver". But knowing what it is and holding on to some of it could make a big difference in tough times. What junk silver is, is silver coins minted before 1965. With current silver prices a pre 1965 quarter is worth about 5 dollars. A dime is worth about 3 dollars. In the future, as the economy begins to collapse the silver content will hold value. Just like investing in gold, silver will be a good investment for your family's future. The nice thing about junk silver is you pick it up every day at face value. I look though my change every day and you would be surprised how often I find some pre-65 silver.

I bought some junk dimes and quarters around ten years ago for the price it is now, around $14-$15 an oz. I got lucky and sold a big bag of it in 2012 @$48, just after it had peaked @ $49 and paid off all debt with some to spare. I got lucky. Can't say the same for the poor buyer @ $48 -- now worth $14-$15. Some I sold five years ago is what I cashed in to purchase Dr. Pierce's library. It's nice to have when needed, better than keeping in banks these days, but still speculative when (((those))) who hoard it and control the price are not our people. We've discussed that on WB before: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2031
Offline

Colin

  • Posts: 162
  • Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:44 pm

Re: Holding onto "junk silver"

PostFri May 10, 2019 7:59 pm

I find a lot of it in my change. If you are anywhere near casinos, you see a bunch of it. I don't know why the slot machines are full of the stuff. I guess because most people don't know what they have in their hands.
Offline
User avatar

Jim Mathias

  • Posts: 1444
  • Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: Holding onto "junk silver"

PostSat May 11, 2019 1:28 am

For those who hunt for silver in their spare change, it's also a little known fact that half dollars minted from 1965-1970 had a 40% silver content as well. Beginning with the 1971 mint year, those coins then went to clad production --the same as dimes and quarters dated 1965-on and dollars from 1971-on.
Contact me via PM to obtain quantities of the "Send Them Back" stickers.
Offline
User avatar

Wade Hampton III

  • Posts: 2024
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:40 pm
  • Location: Pontiac, SC

Re: Holding onto "junk silver"

PostSat May 11, 2019 3:20 am

Colin wrote:I don't know how many of you have ever even heard of the term "junk silver". But knowing what it is and holding on to some of it could make a big difference in tough times. What junk silver is, is silver coins minted before 1965. With current silver prices a pre 1965 quarter is worth about 5 dollars. A dime is worth about 3 dollars. In the future, as the economy begins to collapse the silver content will hold value. Just like investing in gold, silver will be a good investment for your family's future. The nice thing about junk silver is you pick it up every day at face value. I look though my change every day and you would be surprised how often I find some pre-65 silver.


Silver prices are now and have been for some time below the actual costs of production.
This will inevitably lead to a shortage of the metal. The panic will begin when real users
of silver (manufacturing concerns) will demand real silver and will only get futures contracts
to deliver silver at a specific future date. That will not work for them. They cannot operate
a factory or manufacturing plant on paper silver promises. They will need the real deal.

What the world does not know at this time is that JPMorgan's Jamie Dimon has accrued physical
silver in COMEX and other warehouses in England to the tune of over 850 M/oz good delivery 1000/oz
industry standard bars. This dwarfs the Hunt Brothers hoard of 150M/oz back in 1980, when
they tried to corner the silver market.

When will it happen? It will happen when it happens. Not trying to be cute...just the way it is.
Offline

Colin

  • Posts: 162
  • Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:44 pm

Re: Holding onto "junk silver"

PostSat May 11, 2019 8:47 am

Wade Hampton III wrote:
Colin wrote:I don't know how many of you have ever even heard of the term "junk silver". But knowing what it is and holding on to some of it could make a big difference in tough times. What junk silver is, is silver coins minted before 1965. With current silver prices a pre 1965 quarter is worth about 5 dollars. A dime is worth about 3 dollars. In the future, as the economy begins to collapse the silver content will hold value. Just like investing in gold, silver will be a good investment for your family's future. The nice thing about junk silver is you pick it up every day at face value. I look though my change every day and you would be surprised how often I find some pre-65 silver.


Silver prices are now and have been for some time below the actual costs of production.
This will inevitably lead to a shortage of the metal. The panic will begin when real users
of silver (manufacturing concerns) will demand real silver and will only get futures contracts
to deliver silver at a specific future date. That will not work for them. They cannot operate
a factory or manufacturing plant on paper silver promises. They will need the real deal.

What the world does not know at this time is that JPMorgan's Jamie Dimon has accrued physical
silver in COMEX and other warehouses in England to the tune of over 850 M/oz good delivery 1000/oz
industry standard bars. This dwarfs the Hunt Brothers hoard of 150M/oz back in 1980, when
they tried to corner the silver market.

When will it happen? It will happen when it happens. Not trying to be cute...just the way it is.


You are right though. We don't know when the collapse will happen. We know it is coming and all we can do is prepare ourselves and our families.
Offline
User avatar

Will Williams

  • Posts: 2246
  • Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Holding onto "junk silver"

PostSat May 11, 2019 3:01 pm

Wade Hampton III wrote:... JPMorgan's Jamie Dimon has accrued physical
silver in COMEX and other warehouses in England to the tune of over 850 M/oz good delivery 1000/oz
industry standard bars. This dwarfs the Hunt Brothers hoard of 150M/oz back in 1980, when
they tried to corner the silver market..

I recall silver peaked at its all-time high of $52 per oz when the Hunt's cornered the silver market for a while.

I'd posted this in another WB thread you started here in 2016, Wade:
---

Re: Arch-Criminal Jamie Dimon - Beat Him At His Own Game!
Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Reminds me of a remarkable story in F.D.R. My Exploited Father-In- Law by Curtis B. Dall, 1967 by Christian Crusades Publications. (pages 73-74)

Colonel Dall was married to President Franklin Roosevelt's daughter Anna. He worked on Wall Street in the early 1930s and once had occasion to meet with the famous Bernard Baruch for a few moments. He was trying to pump the wily old Jew for some stock tips and was getting nowhere, when:

After a silence, [Mr. Baruch] said, "Mr. Dall, I think well of silver"

For a moment I felt floored, decidedly off-base. I managed to say, "You do Mr. Baruch"

"Yes," he replied, "I do! In fact I own about 5/16ths of the world's visible supply of silver."

I struggled to come up for air, as it were, and managed to blurt out, "That certainly is a lot of silver, Mr. Baruch!"

He replied, in his strong, affirmative way, "Yes, that is a lot of silver, Mr. Dall!"

[...]
[A] few months later, most startling news about silver did break in the press in a rather casual manner. The news about it was released over a weekend, when our financial markets were closed. In order to extend a friendly, political gesture, as it were, to our western silver mining states, Congress authorized the U.S. Treasury to double the price it would pay for silver in the open market.

====================
Offline
User avatar

Will Williams

  • Posts: 2246
  • Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:22 am

Re: Holding onto "junk silver"

PostSat May 11, 2019 5:30 pm

Will Williams wrote:... I got lucky and sold a big bag of it in 2012 @$48, just after it had peaked @ $49 and paid off all debt with some to spare. I got lucky. Can't say the same for the poor buyer @ $48 -- now worth $14-$15. Some I sold five years ago is what I cashed in to purchase Dr. Pierce's library. It's nice to have when needed, better than keeping in banks these days, but still speculative when (((those))) who hoard it and control the price are not our people. We've discussed that on WB before: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2031[/size]

Let's put things in proper perspective: What has more value to our cause, a bag of old quarters or Dr. Pierce's personal research library?

Image

William Pierce's books, his recorded talks espousing his Cosmotheist world view, and especially his extraordinary, carefully-collected library are the intellectual core of the National Alliance around which we are rebuilding the organization going forward. We haven't yet built the structure to hold this and other valuable collections in the William Luther Pierce Memorial Library and research center but we are slowly making progress toward achieving that real world goal. It's going to take a lot more money than we have currently to do things right.

If not a member already, support Alliance-building by joining NA, by recruiting others to join, and by purchasing books, CDs and other material here: https://cosmotheistchurch.org/shop/


Image
Dr. Pierce in a section of the Alliance's library
Offline

Colin

  • Posts: 162
  • Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:44 pm

Re: Holding onto "junk silver"

PostSun May 12, 2019 10:23 am

Will Williams wrote:
Will Williams wrote:... I got lucky and sold a big bag of it in 2012 @$48, just after it had peaked @ $49 and paid off all debt with some to spare. I got lucky. Can't say the same for the poor buyer @ $48 -- now worth $14-$15. Some I sold five years ago is what I cashed in to purchase Dr. Pierce's library. It's nice to have when needed, better than keeping in banks these days, but still speculative when (((those))) who hoard it and control the price are not our people. We've discussed that on WB before: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2031[/size]

Let's put things in proper perspective: What has more value to our cause, a bag of old quarters or Dr. Pierce's personal research library?

Image

William Pierce's books, his recorded talks espousing his Cosmotheist world view, and especially his extraordinary, carefully-collected library are the intellectual core of the National Alliance around which we are rebuilding the organization going forward. We haven't yet built the structure to hold this and other valuable collections in the William Luther Pierce Memorial Library and research center but we are slowly making progress toward achieving that real world goal. It's going to take a lot more money than we have currently to do things right.

If not a member already, support Alliance-building by joining NA, by recruiting others to join, and by purchasing books, CDs and other material here: https://cosmotheistchurch.org/shop/


Image
Dr. Pierce in a section of the Alliance's library


I agree that we must invest our time and other resources into NA and our people. We are to the point where that is going to be your best bet for survival when the collapse comes. Thank you for always helping me keep some perspective on what is important.
Offline
User avatar

PhuBai68

  • Posts: 347
  • Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:23 pm
  • Location: Pickens County, SC

Re: Holding onto "junk silver"

PostSun May 12, 2019 5:04 pm

I remember as a kid with a paper route (think around 1959ish) actually being paid with a silver dollar many times.
Buffalo nickels, Indian head nickels, an occasional "V" nickel, liberty walking quarters, the "white" (1943) pennies were all very common.
In 1964 (remember that year, Civil Rights Act passed & Negroes started pouring in) while working at an amusement park frying hamburgers receiving a yellow seal $5 bill.
I swapped that bill with one of my own but as a teenager making a buck an hour couldn't hold onto it very long - wish I had it now, not for the monetary value - just to have.

As far as gold and silver being worth "oh so much!" in a TSHTF scenario, not so much.
In fact, as a hedge against inflation, IDK - really, IDK.
Quite some years back my saving account was getting up there a bit and I decided to buy some gold eagles, gold was at about $990 or so an ounce and figured "a safe bet" (with insurance and shipping total cost approx. $1003 per coin) and gold did almost hit $2000 an ounce (same w/ silver, it went to near or above $40 I believe) but now has been bouncing in the $1200-1300 range seemingly forever.
Back to TSHTF - you have your gold coins, you're out of food, you swap a coin for ten cases of assorted canned goods.
That food is now gone, times are tough on everyone but NOW because of supply and demand you need two gold eagles five cases of canned goods.
You would actually have done better (if having the storage space) to have stocked dehydrated survival food, ammunition and bulk bought pistol/rifle (obviously Glock/Beretta/M16-AR) magazines to barter with as you can't eat gold and silver.


http://www.antiquemoney.com/value-of-ye ... tificates/
It's not diversity, it's displacement.
Next

Return to Survivalism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron