Trauma and the Unbound Body

Fundamental ideas
Grimork

Post by Grimork » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:41 pm

I put this in religion because this book discusses spiritual aspects and also I think it has the feel of Cosmotheism. I know that this post won't apply to a lot of the tough men and women we have in the Alliance, but some of us go through terrible experiences and weren't taught healthful ways to cope with them. I also appreciate that this book is written without a New Age or Christian slant as many of these books are.

It's full of many practical exercises that you can do at home with no equipment, no medicine. Just yourself, some instruction, and the space around you.
To know ourselves as the subtle ground of our being is a distinct shift from fragmentation to wholeness, but it is who we actually are. Rather than feeling ethereal or supernatural, the experience of fundamental consciousness feels authentic and familiar. Rather than transporting us into another world, it shows us the spacious, unified underpinning of this world. When we experience that we are made
of the same one consciousness as everything and everyone that we encounter
, it is easier to feel that we belong here, just where we are.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/trauma-an ... 1683641833

This book has been especially helpful to me in processing troubling emotions and experiences I have dealt with. I feel like a more at ease in my own body as a result.

Will Williams

Re: Trauma and the Unbound Body

Post by Will Williams » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:07 pm

Grimork wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:41 pm
I put this in religion because this book discusses spiritual aspects and also I think it has the feel of Cosmotheism. I know that this post won't apply to a lot of the tough men and women we have in the Alliance, but some of us go through terrible experiences and weren't taught healthful ways to cope with them. I also appreciate that this book is written without a New Age or Christian slant as many of these books are.

It's full of many practical exercises that you can do at home with no equipment, no medicine. Just yourself, some instruction, and the space around you...
I read the overview of the book summed up here:

The Realization Process--a meditative practice for embodied spiritual awakening?

I'm not sure what "embodied spiritual awakening" is. Dr. Blackstone is a psychotherapist. It looks like she recommends methods of meditation, something I've never tried, but know others -- even "tough" Alliance members :) -- who swear by it. You are as tough as they come, Grimork, so if it works for you, good. Go for it.

I've experienced trauma in my life -- who hasn't? -- and have found that avoiding stressors is important. To me the best doctor is work. Lots of work keeps the mind off of past trauma.

Grimork

Post by Grimork » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:53 pm

Will Williams wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:07 pm
I read the overview of the book summed up here:

The Realization Process--a meditative practice for embodied spiritual awakening?

I'm not sure what "embodied spiritual awakening" is. Dr. Blackstone is a psychotherapist. It looks like she recommends methods of meditation, something I've never tried, but know others -- even "tough" Alliance members :) -- who swear by it. You are as tough as they come, Grimork, so if it works for you, good. Go for it.

I've experienced trauma in my life -- who hasn't? -- and have found that avoiding stressors is important. To me the best doctor is work. Lots of work keeps the mind off of past trauma.
Thanks Will! You're too kind. I don't always feel tough, but I am starting to feel my own strength which is nice.

I think what Blackstone means by spiritual is the awakening to the consciousness of your body and the space around us being one and the same. The energy/life-force inside of ourselves is also in our environment and by being inside our bodies and feeling those places of trauma (she believes if strong enough they can be contained in our fascia) we are able to tense and then eventually release these areas, therefore no more areas of tension in our body and our energy can flow freely like before the traumas. I think we can all agree it's a spiritual feeling to feel one with the universe. :)
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/muscle-pain-it-may-actually-be-your-fascia wrote:Fascia is a thin casing of connective tissue that surrounds and holds every organ, blood vessel, bone, nerve fiber and muscle in place. The tissue does more than provide internal structure; fascia has nerves that make it almost as sensitive as skin. When stressed, it tightens up.

I would call it meditation of sorts, but different. It's a consciously thinking meditation instead of what's mainstream promoted is to "clear your mind" instead of clearing your mind in Realization Process you are drawing your attention to certain parts of the body and certain qualities which exist therein. For instance in the head you can feel the quality of intelligence, in your upper chest your heart/emotion, lower abdomen your power, and so on.. She explains all these things really in depth and uses a lot of personal stories from her clients which aids in understanding her explanations.

So true, keeping busy in the body keeps the mind busy. I agree. I can't always be busy though, and sometimes I would lay at night thinking or in times of rest, therefore I find it really helpful to deal with it head-on and do my best to remove it root and branch, if you believe such a thing is possible. :)

Riley

Post by Riley » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:37 pm

I am a meditator myself since about 5 or 6 years ago, and in my opinion, true meditation is simply the practice of developing and maintaining mind-body awareness, not about clearing the mind of all thoughts, or about achieving some ethereal state of enlightenment, or whatever else.

That's not to say it's not spiritual, though. Meditation can and should become a regular spiritual practice for Cosmotheists, similar to how prayer is for Christians. It already is that for me. It makes me feel more connected to Nature, it makes me feel better in general, and it doesn't require me to do any fancy rituals, or to psychically transmit my thoughts to a bearded magic man.

More on the topic of this thread, Dr. Thomas Hanna, a philosopher who died decades ago, published a book called Somatics: Reawakening The Mind's Control Of Movement, Flexibility, And Health back in the 80s, which is where the mind-body theory of trauma seems to have at least partially stemmed from. Hanna was actually the one to coin the term "somatics", coming from the Greek word for body ("soma"), and the somatic approach is now used by many practitioners of therapy for both mind and body, which makes sense considering that Hanna's approach stemmed from the belief that mind and body are one and the same.

Nearly everyone is going to have some pattern of tension in their body, but with serious trauma it can be a lot more severe to the point where it causes lots of pain, fatigue, etc. In any case, Hanna called this "sensory motor amnesia", and his idea was that this could be fixed by simply bringing awareness back to these areas.

Here's a video of him talking about it:

There are also other videos like it from modern practitioners, with more in-depth explanations and demonstrations. Just search for terms like "somatic" and "pandiculation" and you'll find them. I don't know much about Dr. Blackstone but she seems to be have a similar approach.
It's me, Riley.

John Yurgel

Post by John Yurgel » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:28 am

Just couldn't help myself..
O_Q3JhzxQDY.jpg
O_Q3JhzxQDY.jpg (152.75 KiB) Viewed 178 times

John Yurgel

Post by John Yurgel » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:31 am

BREAKING THE CHAINS
OF CHRONIC PAIN

https://doctorschierling.com/blog/why-f ... -fasciawhy fascia?