It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:54 am

DHS To Face-Scan 97% Of International Travelers Within Four

Summaries and links to news items
  • Author

PallidaMort

DHS To Face-Scan 97% Of International Travelers Within Four

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 10:33 pm

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04- ... four-years

Already deployed in seventeen international airports, including Atlanta, New York City, Boston, San Jose, Chicago, and two airports in Houston, DHS systems will photograph and scan passengers at their departure gate, cross-referencing their face against a library of face images from visa and passport applications, as well as those taken by border agents when foreigners enter the country.

The aim of the system is to offer “Biometric Exit,” which gives authorities as good an idea of who’s leaving the country as who’s entering it, and allows them to identify people who have overstayed their visas. Quartz notes that US authorities have traditionally relied on airline flight manifests to track who’s leaving the country. -The Verge

JetBlue Blues

Last week, JetBlue customer MacKenzie Fegan was shocked after finding out that her face had been scanned in order for her to board the plane. "I just boarded an international @JetBlue flight. Instead of scanning my boarding pass or handing over my passport, I looked into a camera before being allowed down the jet bridge," she tweeted. "Did facial recognition replace boarding passes, unbeknownst to me? Did I consent to this?"

I just boarded an international @JetBlue flight. Instead of scanning my boarding pass or handing over my passport, I looked into a camera before being allowed down the jet bridge. Did facial recognition replace boarding passes, unbeknownst to me? Did I consent to this?
— MacKenzie Fegan (@mackenzief) April 17, 2019

JetBlue wrote back:

You're able to opt out of this procedure, MacKenzie. Sorry if this made you feel uncomfortable.
— JetBlue Airways (@JetBlue) April 17, 2019

When asked how they knew it was her, JetBlue said that the information was provided by DHS "from existing holdings," and later clarified "these photos aren't provided to us, but are securely transmitted to the Customs and Border Protection database. JetBlue does not have direct access to the photos and doesn’t store them."

So to be clear, the government provided my biometric data to a privately held company? Did I consent to this? How long is my data held by @JetBlue? And even if I opt out at the scanners...you already have my information, correct?

Would love more info about how my image was matched to a name on the flight manifest. I looked at the camera & a few seconds later the gate opened. Was my image, in the space of those seconds, sent to CBP, run through a database, matched to a name, and then sent back to @JetBlue?

So far over 7,000 passengers across 15,000 flights have been identified by the current system who have overstayed their visas. According to The Verge citing US Customs and Border Protection (CBP), approximately 600,000 people overstay their visas every year - which carries a maximum penalty of a 10-year ban from entering the US.

my Emirates flight from Dulles is using facial recognition scans on passengers as a part of the pilot with CBP. I asked the airlines about whether they had informed people and let them know about their options to opt out. They pointed to a board, not super visible from the queue pic.twitter.com/VNs5u6N1XZ
— Tanvi (@Tanvim) March 8, 2019
Before we can put the White man in the fight we have to put the fight into the White man.

https://cosmotheistchurch.org/

Jim Mathias

Re: DHS To Face-Scan 97% Of International Travelers Within F

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 12:26 am

If they can do this with international travelers, they certainly can with the domestic variety. In fact, I heard this is coming soon as all states driver licences are to be compliant with the "Real ID" act provisions by 2020 if anyone from that particular state wants to fly anywhere.

Tagged and tracked, cradle to grave, imagining that you can slide through life anonymously is delusional.....unless you have your kids born outside the hospital and never registered with the "authorities" so they can avoid the system.

It's not really that we're being watched that matters, but rather by who and for what purposes is what counts.

Colin

Re: DHS To Face-Scan 97% Of International Travelers Within F

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 1:46 am

Jim Mathias wrote:If they can do this with international travelers, they certainly can with the domestic variety. In fact, I heard this is coming soon as all states driver licences are to be compliant with the "Real ID" act provisions by 2020 if anyone from that particular state wants to fly anywhere.

Tagged and tracked, cradle to grave, imagining that you can slide through life anonymously is delusional.....unless you have your kids born outside the hospital and never registered with the "authorities" so they can avoid the system.

It's not really that we're being watched that matters, but rather by who and for what purposes is what counts.

They are not the only ones doing it either. There was a story a couple of days ago where apple filed charges on a guy for theft and used their in house facial recognition to identify him. Only problem was that the face in their system wasn't his. The same technology is also being used in the cities at malls and other places where people gather. It is estimated that if you live in a city of any size your picture is taken almost a 1000 times a day

Return to News Items