It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:38 pm


Latest Bulletin

Informal discussions
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Wade Hampton III

  • Posts: 1784
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:40 pm
  • Location: Pontiac, SC

Re: Latest Bulletin

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 2:24 pm

My February (Bulletin) arrived yesterday. Check went out this afternoon. Look for it up
there sometime next week. Don't knock Lotto, Captain. Jackpot tomorrow night is $495M.
I know odds are slim, but at least there is a chance. Here are the odds of winning without
the purchase of a ticket: 0 tickets = 0 winnings.
Offline

Jim Mathias

  • Posts: 917
  • Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: Latest Bulletin

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 2:12 am

Wade Hampton III wrote:My February (Bulletin) arrived yesterday. Check went out this afternoon. Look for it up
there sometime next week. Don't knock Lotto, Captain. Jackpot tomorrow night is $495M.
I know odds are slim, but at least there is a chance. Here are the odds of winning without
the purchase of a ticket: 0 tickets = 0 winnings.

How do the chances of hitting the Lotto jackpot stack up against Betelgeuse going supernova in our lifetimes? ;)
Offline
User avatar

Wade Hampton III

  • Posts: 1784
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:40 pm
  • Location: Pontiac, SC

Re: Latest Bulletin

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 pm

Jim Mathias wrote:How do the chances of hitting the Lotto jackpot stack up against Betelgeuse going supernova in our lifetimes? ;)



If by "our lifetimes" your frame of reference is "today" in terrestrial
time, then that will not be known for another 520 years from now,
quite beyond the lifespan of anyone alive "today." That is because
for us the star does not exist "today" because we see it as it was
520 years ago. Even the nearby Moon does not exist "now," but as
it existed approximately 1.25 seconds ago. Hate to disappoint all
the Trekkies out in the Federation, but there is no such thing as
"now" in the cosmos. "Now" and "then" exist only relative to one
another.
Offline
User avatar

Wade Hampton III

  • Posts: 1784
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:40 pm
  • Location: Pontiac, SC

Re: Latest Bulletin

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 2:04 am

Wade Hampton III wrote:If by "our lifetimes" your frame of reference is "today" in terrestrial
time, then that will not be known for another 520 years from now,
quite beyond the lifespan of anyone alive "today." That is because
for us the star does not exist "today" because we see it as it was
520 years ago. Even the nearby Moon does not exist "now," but as
it existed approximately 1.25 seconds ago. Hate to disappoint all
the Trekkies out in the Federation, but there is no such thing as
"now" in the cosmos. "Now" and "then" exist only relative to one
another.


View from another angle: Time is "in" the Cosmos. The Cosmos
IS NOT in "time."
Previous

Return to Team House

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests