Do not use Windows 10

Martin Graves

Do not use Windows 10

Post by Martin Graves » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:30 am

A Czech journalist discovered that everything typed on a computer using Windows 10 is sent to Microsoft every 30 minutes. [Original article | Translated into English]
windows-10-logo-700x394.jpg
windows-10-logo-700x394.jpg (20.61 KiB) Viewed 15020 times
This is arguably the most significant threat to one's privacy, as every action one makes is recorded when using Windows 10 (and likely in previous versions, too).

They are always watching everything you type. They can see what ailments you have if you look the symptoms up on WebMD. They can access private messages that you've typed to a friend or coworker. Yes, even your bank password is sent to the employees at Microsoft. Think about all the governmental organizations, hospitals, private psychologists, and everybody else with non-disclosure agreements in place who will be making the switch to Windows 10.

Microsoft owns Pando Networks, famous for the malware/botnet Pando Media Booster. Windows Update in Windows 10 utilizes P2P by default, most likely the same P2P technology used by Pando Media Booster. Essentially it turns your PC into a zombie host server, wasting your bandwidth serving updates to other computers. This also means Windows Update might be utilized later to spread malware through the P2P system via 0days.

You cannot turn off "Telemetry" unless you own Windows 10 Enterprise Edition. This means your computer will continuously leak unspecified information to Microsoft and there's no way of turning this off.

You cannot turn off "Real-time Protection", aka Windows Defender. Even if you do, it will turn itself on again after a while. This means you cannot prevent your PC from sending random files and information to Microsoft for "analysis".
cortanahero.jpg
cortanahero.jpg (40.22 KiB) Viewed 15020 times
Cortana has zero local storage functionality and does not function unless you have a Microsoft Account connected. It will even inform you about this if you try using it on a local account, and then shut itself down.

Windows 10 start menu will have "Content suggestions" which are on by default, which means you'll be seeing ads.

Windows 10 "Wifi Sense" will be begging for your Facebook account details so it can get to know you better. It will also be sharing your Wifi password with all your Facebook/Skype/Outlook friends, their friends, as well as Microsoft.
In the case that you still want to use Windows 10, there are some tips on trying to evade as much spying as possible, but this is like jailbreaking an iPhone.

Why run something proprietary -- something that literally locks you down and spies on you -- just to break it semi-open so you get or get rid of the features you want/don't want?

Why wouldn't you just choose freedom instead of taking the offer of living in a jail?
It's time to abandon Windows (and OS X) for good. For a user new to the Linux experience, I would suggest using Linux Mint; however any distribution of Linux is much better than Windows or OS X, which are both backdoored and unfree (as in freedom AND in beer).

Escape the botnet. Install Mint. Achieve peace of mind.

Jjack

Re: Do not use Windows 10

Post by Jjack » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:32 pm

Linux Ubunto also works well for Internet. It has a word processor with multiple dictionaries and a text processor. Its video is good too. PDF works good. Uploading to Utube is easy. However, some programs such as AutoCAD don't work with it. It's also difficult to print with it unless you find the drivers for your printer on line. Thus far, I have not found FTP software to upload files to my page.

I agree: Big Brother keeps trying to know you and what you do. A class action suit against Microsoft would be in order perhaps.

http://www.gate.net/~joachim/

Michael Olanich

Post by Michael Olanich » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:50 am

Thank you for this information. My windows 8.1 keeps prompting me to update to Windows 10 but I haven't because of some these spying issues.

Wade Hampton III

Post by Wade Hampton III » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:50 am

Michael Olanich wrote:Thank you for this information. My windows 8.1 keeps prompting me to update to Windows 10 but I haven't because of some these spying issues.
I keep getting the same pop-up because I am using an earlier version of Windows.
Mama said, "You better shop around!"

No kidding!!!

Martin Graves

Post by Martin Graves » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:11 pm

Michael Olanich wrote:Thank you for this information. My windows 8.1 keeps prompting me to update to Windows 10 but I haven't because of some these spying issues.
While 8.1 is not as dangerous as 10, it's still not a good idea to use it.

You can always live-boot something like Tails for discussing sensitive information (instead of dual-booting both Linux and Windows or outright deleting the latter), but that can be inconvenient since it's difficult to save files, and consequently, nothing is saved when you shut down your computer.

Ultimately, it all comes down to a balance of security and convenience.

Will Williams

Post by Will Williams » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:46 pm

Martin Graves wrote:...Ultimately, it all comes down to a balance of security and convenience.
...and an aptitude for all the electronic gizmos, knowledge of the jargon, and an inclination to learn it all, or not. :|

As luck would have it I'm told we don't use Windows anymore. We even tape something over our little Webcams so you-know-who can watch us while we type. :ugeek:

I was told recently that Homeland Security owns all the banks. So what should we do, not use banks? That's fine if you don't have a couple of corporations to run responsibly. Our policy is to do everything above board and legal -- zero tolerance for illegality.

We'll have suitable security when it's time and when we have enough help and the funds to get us there.
If Whites insist on participating in "social media," do so on ours, not (((theirs))). Like us on WhiteBiocentrism.com; follow us on NationalVanguard.org. ᛉ

Jjack

Post by Jjack » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:12 pm

:evil: Don’t forget that, regardless of which OS you use, your browser tracks your Internet moves and COULD report on you—IP numbers are very telling. Firefox may be the least inclined to do so, but do not believe them to fight bravely for your privacy either. In fact, in China, companies such as Google deal straight with the government in order to be allowed to operate in the country.

;) When you have something very private to talk about, do not use anything connected to the web, the US mail or the telephone. Use carrier pigeons. Oh, crap!

http://www.gate.net/~joachim/

Martin Graves

Post by Martin Graves » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:46 pm

Jjack wrote:Don’t forget that, regardless of which OS you use, your browser tracks your Internet moves and COULD report on you—IP numbers are very telling. Firefox may be the least inclined to do so, but do not believe them to fight bravely for your privacy either. In fact, in China, companies such as Google deal straight with the government in order to be allowed to operate in the country.
Very true, Jjack. As a general rule, you should never trust a third party to handle your security.

If you'd prefer to not have websites log your IP address, you can always use a VPN to reroute your traffic so it appears that you are posting from another location. Different VPNs appeal to different people, so you should research different companies yourself. Here are a few questions to consider before using a given VPN:
  • Do they keep logs?
    Do they use OpenVPN and encryption?
    Do they accept Bitcoins?
    Do they use shared or dynamic IPs?
    How many devices can be connected at once?
    Does the VPN support your mobile device(s)?
    Where are their servers located?
    What country are they based in?
To me, anyway, I would only use a VPN if they did not keep logs, used strong encryption, accepted alternative forms of payment (ie, Bitcoin, gift cards, etc), and had servers/are based in a country outside of "The Fourteen Eyes" (United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Denmark, France, the Netherlands, Norway, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Spain, and Sweden). Probably a good idea to avoid Israel, as well. To reiterate, do not pick a VPN hosted in any of these countries, because there is evidence that they co-operate with each other with intelligence-gathering. Look up "ECHELON" for more information on that.

As Mr Williams mentioned earlier, we have no interest in doing anything wrong or illegal. That being said, there is no reason why any of us should be forced to give up our right to privacy. After all, if you believe you have nothing to hide, why have curtains or a lock on your front door?

This is how I view operating systems in general: if you are a whistle-blower or risk imminent harm, use Tails; if you are a political dissident, use any distro of *nux; if you are a good goy and don't mind having your privacy infringed, use Windows or OS X.