Dr. Ken Berry on proper diet

Robert Burns

Dr. Ken Berry on proper diet

Post by Robert Burns » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:40 pm

I found this guy around a year or two ago when I started taking a greater interest in the idea of a carnivorous diet. He covers just about every question you could think of in his many videos, and he does so using solid scientific data and clinical experience. From watching his videos I've learned that many of the commonly held ideas promoted by the media about proper diet are totally unfounded, and merely exist to make money for Big Ag and then Big Pharma, which of course profits immensely from an unhealthy population.

What it boils down to is that fatty red meats and saturated fats in general have been thoroughly demonized in recent decades for supposedly being the cause of all sorts of diseases and health problems, while whole grains are supposed to be the best source of healthy nutrition we have, but all the data show that the opposite is the case. Grains are just complex carbohydrates, which are hardly different from refined sugars in terms of their effects on the body in similar quantities (in other words, they are pretty bad for us, especially in large quantities), while fatty red meat and organs are not only not toxic as we are made to believe, but they contain literally every nutrient and vitamin we need to survive (yes, even Vitamin C), and in much higher quantities than you will find them in "superfoods" like kale and spinach.

I highly recommend our people to check out his channel and try his dietary advice for yourself. You can't argue with results.

https://www.youtube.com/c/KenDBerryMD/playlists

I specifically recommend starting with the Keto 101 and Carnivore 101 playlists. Here he outlines all the basic information about both approaches to a healthy diet, but as you can see he has a ton of other playlists and videos addressing many specific questions that people have asked. I don't know of a better source for information on proper nutrition.

Grimork

Re: Dr. Ken Berry on proper diet

Post by Grimork » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:01 am

I believe the idea that meats are bad for us, stems from low quality mostly grain-fed industrial meat farms. Same thing with milk. Luckily there is a grass-fed more natural meat movement.

Robert Burns

Post by Robert Burns » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:06 am

Grimork wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:01 am
I believe the idea that meats are bad for us, stems from low quality mostly grain-fed industrial meat farms. Same thing with milk. Luckily there is a grass-fed more natural meat movement.
That's the crazy thing, they don't even have sufficient evidence to say that grain-fed factory farmed meat is toxic, let alone natural stuff, but the medical establishment says all of it is bad.

Not only that, but the demonization of meat in America actually predates factory-farming, and it stems largely from big corporations like Kellogg's funding campaigns through the media to demonize meat. John Harvey Kellogg himself was a hardcore Catholic and a vegetarian with a lot of truly awful ideas. He published a book in 1923 called The Natural Diet of Man, arguing for vegetarianism as the most healthy diet while thoroughly demonizing meat (even just protein) as a toxic substance.

I didn't read it in its entirety, but from what I did see the book unsurprisingly appears to be based entirely on fallacious arguments, unreliable data, and pseudoscience. For example, one of the experiments he proudly cites as the most damning evidence that meat causes cardiovascular disease in humans involved a researcher, Dr. Newburgh at the University of Michigan, feeding meat to rabbits. That alone should be enough to discredit the entire book.

If you didn't know, Kellogg is also the single man most responsible for the American adoption of infant male genital mutilation ("circumcision"), not to prevent UTIs or cancer as we are now told by the CDC, but to prevent the sin of masturbation, of course. It was only well after the fact that the studies claiming a medical justification came out, not because it actually makes any sense to amputate healthy body parts, but because hospitals don't want to lose all the money they make off of this horrific procedure.

I think the same thing is happening here. After World War I grain producers and cereal companies like Kellogg's had gotten substantially bigger and more influential, and since then they've been doing everything they can to convince the public that plants are good and meats are bad, from funding more bogus studies to promoting the idea that "meat is murder". And now we're seeing all this disgusting and definitely unhealthy "beyond meat" crap creeping onto the shelves, and there is only going to be more of it as time goes on.

I do want to say though, anyone who can support local farmers and buy meat locally should do so. Not only is it going to be more nutritious than anything else you can find, but supporting local farms makes us less reliant on the system.

I read a good quote earlier:
If your experience is that your water comes from the tap and that your food comes from the grocery store, then you are going to defend to the death the system that brings those to you because your life depends on them; if your experience is that your water comes from a river and that your food comes from a land base then you will defend those to the death because your life depends on them.

Grimork

Post by Grimork » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:21 pm

I think animals should eat the diet closest to what they would in the wild for optimal health .. for cattle that would be grass.. not corn. I don't need proof, to me that's common sense. Also the conditions in industrial farming are disgusting and treats the animals poorly. Therefore I believe that affects their meat.

Robert Burns

Post by Robert Burns » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:40 pm

Grimork wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:21 pm
I think animals should eat the diet closest to what they would in the wild for optimal health .. for cattle that would be grass.. not corn. I don't need proof, to me that's common sense. Also the conditions in industrial farming are disgusting and treats the animals poorly. Therefore I believe that affects their meat.
I completely agree that meat raised in a natural, ethical environment is better, but it's all relative. My point is that even with that consideration, grain-fed beef is still much better for us than things like bread and rice and other plant foods, contrary to what the modern medical establishment would have us believe. If I have access to high-quality meat then I will certainly take that over the low-quality stuff, but I will also take the standard supermarket ground beef and eggs over the finest organic grains as my main source of nutrition any day.

Our ancestors, up until very recently in evolutionary terms, primarily ate meat and only supplemented with edible wild vegetables, fruits, and grains, all of which would have been incredibly scarce compared to the domesticated and selectively bred plant foods we have now. That is our natural diet: mostly meat, and occasionally whatever else we get our hands on. Agriculture is relatively new to us, and mass-produced grains are even newer.
Steam-Powered wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:38 pm
I tried a strict Carnivore Diet for 4.5 months and had to start adding carbs back into my diet. The "keto flu" symptoms never abated, impacting my abiility to function in the home and work environment.
I never did a strict keto-carnivore diet, but I did entirely stop eating plants for nearly two months, I just got all my sugar from dairy and honey instead of grains and fruit. Most of my intake was still protein and fat at the end of the day. I stopped being strict about it mainly because it was inconvenient, but I felt fantastic. I had lots of energy, no digestive issues, and even my mild scalp dermatitis cleared up completely. I still eat this way much of the time, I'm just not as strict about it anymore, but I do try to avoid vegetable oils (canola, cottonseed, soybean, sunflower etc., hydrogenated or not) and high fructose corn syrup at all costs. Avocado, coconut, and olive oil are healthy from what I understand, but unnatural processed seed oils are linked to all sorts of health problems.

Large amounts of grains always make me feel bloated and tired, and then I'm hungry again in one hour. But I can eat a pound of fatty meat in one sitting and be good for nearly the whole day.

Richard_G_603

Post by Richard_G_603 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:54 pm

Steam-Powered wrote:
I tried a strict Carnivore Diet for 4.5 months and had to start adding carbs back into my diet. The "keto flu" symptoms never abated, impacting my abiility to function in the home and work environment.
I did it for 6 months, high quality organic grass fed beef, local eggs, high quality butter, organic grass fed milk, and water were all I ate and I never had a single issue, only reason I stopped was I ran out of money to do it!

OttoVonFrankfurt

Post by OttoVonFrankfurt » Sun May 01, 2022 10:34 pm

Richard_G_603 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:54 pm
Steam-Powered wrote:
I did it for 6 months, high quality organic grass fed beef, local eggs, high quality butter, organic grass fed milk, and water were all I ate and I never had a single issue, only reason I stopped was I ran out of money to do it!

This really is the saddest part. Eating healthy has become prohibitively expensive. Now with rampant inflation and the sanctions on Russia (which is a major exporter of fertilizer and quality top soil) I expect it will be come even more difficult as crop yields deteriorate. Though I am sure they will blame climate change and cows for this and insist the solution is that we all eat bugs.

Good think I prepped my garden plot and bought seeds this weekend.

Robert Burns

Post by Robert Burns » Mon May 02, 2022 1:11 am

OttoVonFrankfurt wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:34 pm
Richard_G_603 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:54 pm
Steam-Powered wrote:

This really is the saddest part. Eating healthy has become prohibitively expensive. Now with rampant inflation and the sanctions on Russia (which is a major exporter of fertilizer and quality top soil) I expect it will be come even more difficult as crop yields deteriorate. Though I am sure they will blame climate change and cows for this and insist the solution is that we all eat bugs.

Good think I prepped my garden plot and bought seeds this weekend.
I probably should have mentioned earlier, but this issue of the cost of high-quality food is one that Dr. Berry himself has addressed on a number of occasions. He often pokes fun at people using the cost as an excuse by saying, "You don't need to buy the highest quality grass-fed, grass-finished, panda-massaged meat to be healthy." His opinion as a doctor who has made providing evidence-based dietary advice the central focus of his career is certainly more valuable than just about anyone else's, so I'm inclined to believe him.

He does not deny that these products are better, but ultimately he claims that the benefit often does not justify the cost, especially if the cost is prohibitive. At the end of the day, you aren't going to get poisoned and die a slow and painful death coughing up blood because you are eating standard-quality grain-fed beef, dairy, and eggs from the supermarket. These products are still much healthier than the standard sugary American fare, and they cost very little. Not as cheap as rice and flour if your only consideration is caloric density, but you can't live on rice and bread like you can live on beef, dairy, and eggs. Even with prices being what they are now, if you go with the cheapest options for beef, eggs, and dairy, you can easily live off of these for less than $10/day. In my area I can do it for about $6-$7/day.

The nutrient density of the cheap stuff is lower than it is for more natural products, but animal products are pretty strictly regulated by the FDA, so all the fearmongering about artificial hormones and such is pretty overblown. The main trade-off is that there aren't as many Omega 3 fatty acids in grain-fed stuff, but most people would still get more of that than they're getting now just by replacing the grains in their diet with the fat in standard beef, eggs, and dairy. Grain-fed may have less Omega 3, but cutting out the middle man (or cow) and just eating the cow feed yourself means you get zero Omega 3s. The choice seems obvious to me.

AATT

Post by AATT » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:54 am

After taking statins for a few years and tolerating the side effects, I took Dr. Berry's advice ( along with MANY other sources) and stopped taking them. I started doing better right away. Do your own research before doing such a thing yourselves.