Gratuities/Tipping

Informal discussions
Supremely White

Gratuities/Tipping

Post by Supremely White » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:36 pm

As someone relatively new to WN and the National Alliance, I was wondering about the practice of tipping and what Members think of the practice.
As we know, the NA is and has been in the process of establishing a White living space and mores for it’s society.
I personally never did like the custom of tipping (and I’m not sure if I’d be up for cow-tipping, either, because I try to be kind to animals, except for rodents, insects and crows who like to shit on my shoulders…crows being the niggers of the bird species, but I digress).

I have a hairstyling book written in the 1960s by a straight married beautician, because the sixties would be my favorite hair decade…anyway, his opinion of tipping was that he finds it corrupt, and I agree.

In my early adulthood, the only jobs I could get, due to lack of marketable skills at the time, involved some of the income being from tips. I felt a bit demeaned by relying on the customers’ willingness and generosity or lack thereof, to see how much if any tips I’d get in any given shift. I felt sort of like how I did as a kid when trick or treating, a bit like begging.

As a customer, especially at salons and restaurants, I feel like I’m paying twice. As employees in that situation, they get a puny tipping wage, less than minimum wage. Of course, this wouldn’t exist if management paid any type of their employees a fair wage in the first place.

I’ve visited several Asian countries and tipping is not done…sometimes the service is even better than in America and other places where tipping is customary. It’s often a set service charge tacked on instead.
And Australia was the same way. Even if a cabbie, even a female, carried my luggage into the lobby of my lodging, and they’d give me back any spare change left from the total fare due if I tried to leave it for them.
Eating at a pub there was easy, and the service wasn’t lousy. I only had to pay for my food and beverage.

I don’t know if the Amish do tipping, but would like to know how National Alliance members feel about it, especially for the East Tennessee intentional community.

While the Cuckstians ask, what would Jesus do?, I want to know, what would Hitler have done? Does anyone know if tipping was practiced in those brief halcyon days of the Third Reich?
Hitler was right.

Richard_G_603

Re: Gratuities/Tipping

Post by Richard_G_603 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:41 pm

So I have worked every position in restaurants from dishwasher to manager, and also currently work a second job as a delivery driver to supplement my income. My mother was a bartender for 30 years. My wife worked a second job at a laundromat drop off service for a while. So tipping has been a big part of my life and I have a lot to say about it.

First: Waitresses, bartenders, and other such staff ARE technically paid lower than minimum wage. HOWEVER, by federal law, and states who have their own minimum wages usually supplement this law, a tipped employee MUST walk away from the pay period having earned at least the equivalent of minimum wage, or their employer is obligated to make up the difference. Here is what that looks like:
Federal Minimum wage 7.25/hour. A waitress works a 40 hour week, she MUST go home with no less than $490 (7.25x40). Her hourly wage is $3.50, earning her $140. That leaves $350 to be covered by tips. If that $350 is not met, bringing her up to $490 for the week, her employer MUST make up the difference. If she only earned $300, her employer covers the last $50, if she only earned $50, her employer covers $300. They will NEVER go home with a pay period that is less than minimum wage for the hours worked.

So with that said, it is common knowledge amongst most restaurant workers, that a decent waitress on a busy night will almost certainly walk home with more money from that shift than a good chunk of the kitchen staff. Scenario: they are working a 3pm-10pm dinner shift, 7 hours. A standard section size is 4 tables, but lets be conservative and call it 3 tables. If the kitchen isn't being held up and the food is coming out on time, a group can occupy a table from 45 minutes to 2 hours, again conservatively, lets say 1.5 hours per table between settings. This means each table can be seated 4 times in a night, so in a three table section, that waitess will have 12 checks at the end of the night. If between those 12 checks, she averaged a 5 dollar tip per check, which is very much on the low end, she would make $60 in tips that night. She will have also earned $24.50 from her hourly wages, walking away from her seven hour shit with $84.50, a $12.07 hourly rate. That is higher than the minimum wage of 33/50 states in the nation. Which means that waitress will likely be earning more than the dishwasher, bus boy, and possibly the lower end kitchen staff.
Admittedly, this is not every night, but this is an example of a busy done with VERY conservative numbers, if we upped that to the more likely 4 table section and call it a $10 average tip per table, with her hourly she is making $184.5, or $26.35/hour. In which case she just made more than nearly any of the kitchen staff except maybe the chef.

Moving past wait staff and on to bartenders, I know a lot of bartenders want percentage tips on your entire bill for the evening, because it makes them more money. My mother, a bit more old fashioned was of the opinion a bartender should be tipped 1 dollar for a draft, a bottle, a glass of wine, or a shot, and $2-$5 on a mixed drink depending on how complicated it was and how long it takes to make. I tend to agree with her on that, becasue that means if you serve 7 beers in an hour, you have made minimum wage, and being you will likely serve many more than that, you will be doing alright.

As for the rest of the service industry with tipping, its way more discretion based in my opinion. A haircut, I tip based purely on the enjoyability of my experience. I am paying for a good haircut, but if you provide me with good conversation and and enjoyable experience, I will tip you because that is above and beyond. I apply that to most other things, my payment is for the specific service, the tip is for you providing a genuinely enjoyable experience above and beyond the service.

fluxmaster

Post by fluxmaster » Mon May 01, 2023 8:56 am

Richard_G_603 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:41 pm
Waitresses, bartenders, and other such staff ARE technically paid lower than minimum wage. HOWEVER, by federal law, and states who have their own minimum wages usually supplement this law, a tipped employee MUST walk away from the pay period having earned at least the equivalent of minimum wage, or their employer is obligated to make up the difference.
When I worked for Radio Shack, we were paid a base wage that was below minimum wage, plus commission. If, for any given week, our total pay was lass than minimum wage, the company would make up the difference so that we would get paid minimum wage for that week. However, there was an understanding that, if we consistently earned below minimum wage such that the company had to make up the difference, we would be terminated.

So, could a server be terminated if the employer consistently had to make up the difference due to low tips? In other words, can a customer's failure to leave a tip result in the server being fired, because it is costing the employer more money?

Will Williams

Post by Will Williams » Mon May 01, 2023 10:33 am

fluxmaster wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:56 am
When I worked for Radio Shack, we were paid a base wage that was below minimum wage, plus commission. If, for any given week, our total pay was lass than minimum wage, the company would make up the difference so that we would get paid minimum wage for that week. However, there was an understanding that, if we consistently earned below minimum wage such that the company had to make up the difference, we would be terminated...
What a lovely policy. :roll: It's no wonder Radio Shack is no longer around.

Was anyone ever expected to tip a Radio Shack employee for simply doing his job? What customers knew that RS employees were paid on a basis of commission?
If Whites insist on participating in "social media," do so on ours, not (((theirs))). Like us on WhiteBiocentrism.com; follow us on NationalVanguard.org. ᛉ

fluxmaster

Post by fluxmaster » Mon May 01, 2023 3:16 pm

Will Williams wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 10:33 am
fluxmaster wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:56 am
When I worked for Radio Shack, we were paid a base wage that was below minimum wage, plus commission. If, for any given week, our total pay was lass than minimum wage, the company would make up the difference so that we would get paid minimum wage for that week. However, there was an understanding that, if we consistently earned below minimum wage such that the company had to make up the difference, we would be terminated...
What a lovely policy. :roll: It's no wonder Radio Shack is no longer around.

Was anyone ever expected to tip a Radio Shack employee for simply doing his job? What customers knew that RS employees were paid on a basis of commission?
I'm pretty sure accepting a tip would get someone fired, too.

Management was also very demanding on employee metrics. We had to get names and addresses from 98% of customers that came in to buy, even if they were only buying a resistor for under a dollar. If, in any given week, a sales associate only got 97.99% names and addresses, he would be publicly humiliated by the manager in front of the sales staff. Often, when a customer refused to provide a name and address, I would just badger him until he either provided it or left the store without buying anything. We also had to ask every customer to purchase a cell phone and a satellite television plan. if a manager from another store came in acting like a customer, and we didn't ask him to buy a cell phone and a satellite television plan, we could get fired on the spot.

It was a very high-presssure place to work. i didn't work there for very long.

Supremely White

Post by Supremely White » Tue May 02, 2023 1:01 am

I don’t know how it is everywhere else in America, but when I lived in S. California, while I did office jobs for a paycheck, I learned that waitstaff at restaurants had to split their tips with their coworkers.
I was used to the waitstaff being the ones to take our food and drink order and bring it to us when it was ready.
But in many restaurants over there, they only took our order, checked on us and later presented the bill, and some mestizo would be the one to bring the food to the table, cautioning us, “Careful, hot plate “. I imagine the plate was hot from the microwave, but I hope I’m wrong. I do know that the waitstaff had to split their tips with these “food runners “, and the brown busboys.

As an aside, I’ve come to get tired of chain restaurants and am a fan of fine dining, not that I really have the budget for it, but I like that it’s a long wait, even when the place isn’t busy, because that’s a sign that things are cooked on site, and not some precooked stuff from the wholesale store just nuked and brought out a few short minutes after the order was taken, on the hot plate we were warned about. The manager makes the rounds, and there’s even a pastry chef! 8-) Customized desserts for one’s birthday or whatever special occasion. I love desserts! And stellar service and the manager friendly, hospitable and on top of things.
Hitler was right.