Selling a Library

Informal discussions
Richard_G_603

Selling a Library

Post by Richard_G_603 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:49 am

Does anyone have any experience with trying to sell a large collection of boooks? As I've mentioned before I was a Christian pastor before coming to cosmotheism and have a few thousand dollars worth of books in the library I built.
I have no idea how to get rid of them without taking a massive loss on the invested capital. And I would like to be able to use the money to purchase books from the NV site.
Any tips or advice on how to go about the whole affair?

White Man 1

Re: Selling a Library

Post by White Man 1 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:09 am

You may be able to contact a seminary or christian school, but I get the feeling you're going go take a loss no matter where you sell them. Selling books in bulk usually commands a wholesale price far below what you paid retail for each volume. A worthy persuit though!

C.E. Whiteoak

Post by C.E. Whiteoak » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:05 pm

Richard, I'm sorry I am unable to provide any useful advice about how to go about selling your books, but certainly congratulate you for arriving at your present state of mind. The very best of luck to you.

Richard_G_603

Post by Richard_G_603 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:06 pm

White Man 1 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:09 am
You may be able to contact a seminary or christian school, but I get the feeling you're going go take a loss no matter where you sell them. Selling books in bulk usually commands a wholesale price far below what you paid retail for each volume. A worthy persuit though!
I assumed this would be the case, nevertheless I hoped some might have trick I was unaware of.

Grimork

Post by Grimork » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:32 pm

Hi Richard,
you can try this method:
https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-sell-u ... sh-1388970
Do you have used books to sell, and want to get top dollar for them? Just plug their ISBNs into bookscouter.com, and it will show you how much 50-plus online book buyers are willing to pay for them.

It even has a free mobile app that you can download. That's handy if you want to check thrift stores, yard sales, and estate sales for books that you can resell at a profit. Just scan the ISBN to see what a particular book is currently selling for and if it's more than what you can buy it for, snap it up and resell it. Usually reselling is a bit of a gamble, but it doesn't have to be with books. If you use this app, you'll know exactly how much you're going to make before you put up any money.

To maximize your profits, use their price history tool to see how much a particular book has sold for in the past. It may help you to identify a particular time of the year when your book will sell for more. Also be sure you know how to clean books to get rid of any damage, dust, or mildew before selling.
Note: While Bookscouter has a paid version, with additional features, there's a free version that anyone can use.
I haven't personally sold a lot of books, but it sounds like an interesting strategy.

Richard_G_603

Post by Richard_G_603 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:15 pm

Thanks grimork this looks perfect!