June = bears

Informal discussions
PhuBai68

June = bears

Post by PhuBai68 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:17 pm

It's June which to urbanites means "kids getting out of school" but to us in rural areas means that sow bears are chasing their yearling cubs off on their own so they can come into estrus again and be bred.
That's nature's way - kind of like the story I heard (whether true or BS) that when an Irish lad reaches 18 his parents break his plate and he then goes out on his own.
The trouble is that these yearlings are now looking for food sources on their own and not very experienced at finding it so there lies the problem.
As a I man (RIP) I worked with once said, "Why is it almost everything black is no effing good?" really rings true this time of year.
Bird feeders, the tree limbs the bird feeders are on, garbage cans, bird houses, etc ALL get destroyed by these foraging adolescents.
So now you figured out we have this yearling visiting us.
We take our feeders in every evening now but the little bear still comes around I guess to lick spilled seed (& bird poop?) off the old deck.
My wife said she feels sorry for him because he doesn't know where to find food and probably starving.
Being the soft touch I now am in my old age I went and bought a 50# bag of cheap bacon flavored dog food, went a couple/few hundred yards down the road, slipped into the woods (on private undeveloped property) and put about a tad less than ½ spackle pail in the woods about 30 yards in hoping he'll sniff it out and stop coming up on the deck every night - a new food source.
My son's solution, "Shoot him. We give welfare so they don't riot."
I'll see how the dog food route goes.

In the photo notice how (the mama) bear busted right through the (cheap) plastic lattice on gate - not my craftsmanship, we bought the place last year.
PS - why do pics comes out so damned huge on this site?
Attachments
6-2-19 returns.JPG
6-2-19 returns.JPG (2.77 MiB) Viewed 1942 times
It's not diversity, it's displacement.

Wade Hampton III

Re: June = bears

Post by Wade Hampton III » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:11 pm

PhuBai68 wrote:
PS - why do pics comes out so damned huge on this site?
I cut him down to size for you:
Downsized
Downsized
bear.jpg (28.53 KiB) Viewed 1936 times

PhuBai68

Re: June = bears

Post by PhuBai68 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:03 pm

Walked down today with about ½ spackle pail and fresh SD card to swap out in camera - nothing touched it.
Only thing on the camera were me and my dog going in and out.
Maybe the little guy has moved elsewhere.
It's not diversity, it's displacement.