Fig Trees

Becoming self-sufficient
MartinLFletcher

Fig Trees

Post by MartinLFletcher » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:35 am

I've had a great deal of success with fig trees. I live in North Carolina, so it's generally hot in summer and can sometimes get cold in winter. My experience of fig trees is that they're hardy, fast growing, disease, insect, heat, and cold resistant, and very productive. With three fig trees I was harvesting from two to two and a half pounds of figs per day--even after the birds got their share. My wife uses them a lot for baking. (They're also great for gifting to neighbors--a lot of people have never eaten a fresh fig.)

We moved recently so I took cuttings of the fig trees at our old house and planted them on our new property. They are already well established and probably next season they should start producing. I'm looking forward to it.

Jim Mathias

Re: Fig Trees

Post by Jim Mathias » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:03 am

Is grafting required to produce good quality figs?
Activism materials available! ===> Contact me via PM to obtain quantities of the "Send Them Back", "NA Health Warning #1 +#2+#3" stickers, and any fliers listed in the Alliance website's flier webpage.

MartinLFletcher

Post by MartinLFletcher » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:43 am

Jim...

I have "Turkey Figs," which are not grafted. I've been very happy with the results. Here's some information from NC State University's extension service:

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/ficu ... wn-turkey/

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/ficu ... wn-turkey/

Richard_G_603

Post by Richard_G_603 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:03 pm

I'm happy for your success brother! Fruit trees are truly one of the greatest resource investments a land owner can make for long term survival and sustainability, and figs certainly are a very enjoyable fruit. I will always love my apple orchards the most though, probably just the New Englander in me!