Rabbit Manure

Becoming self-sufficient
Zack

Rabbit Manure

Post by Zack » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:17 pm

Rabbit manure (aka "bunny poo tea") is the 'black gold' of the homestead. This type of manure is able to go directly into the ground without waiting for it to cool down first. Also, the smell from the poo is very minimal. If you have enough manure, you can sew seeds directly into it.

For composting purposes, bunny poo is extremely-nutrient filled. Not only does it have the high amounts of phosphorous, nitrogen, etc, it also contains minerals like iron and magnesium from the diet of the rabbit. Since the manure breaks down quickly, it's very efficient for compost piles and hot beds.

Simply soak the rabbit pellets in a bucket of water for some time. Then, pour this manure solution around your plants.

This tea can also be used as organic matter in a compost heap. Periodically add the liquid mixture to the heap and allow it to blend in with the other components for a more nutrient-rich material.

JohnUbele

Re: Rabbit Manure

Post by JohnUbele » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:55 am

Zack wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:17 pm
Rabbit manure (aka "bunny poo tea") is the 'black gold' of the homestead. This type of manure is able to go directly into the ground without waiting for it to cool down first. Also, the smell from the poo is very minimal. If you have enough manure, you can sew seeds directly into it.

For composting purposes, bunny poo is extremely-nutrient filled. Not only does it have the high amounts of phosphorous, nitrogen, etc, it also contains minerals like iron and magnesium from the diet of the rabbit. Since the manure breaks down quickly, it's very efficient for compost piles and hot beds.

Simply soak the rabbit pellets in a bucket of water for some time. Then, pour this manure solution around your plants.

This tea can also be used as organic matter in a compost heap. Periodically add the liquid mixture to the heap and allow it to blend in with the other components for a more nutrient-rich material.

I used to go to a business called Rabbits Etc. They were near Tampa Bay. They had a really good business going. They sold rabbit manure and worm castings. I don't know if they're still doing stuff with rabbits or not, but this is their website for the worms:

http://www.bestbuyworms.com/index.html

Jim Mathias

Post by Jim Mathias » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:59 am

I believe the same kind of "tea" can be made from wood ash for use as plant fertilizer. For those of us running a woodstove, fireplace, or what have you to keep warm this winter, don't throw the ash away. Place it in a container and store it in a place where it can be kept dry. When ready to fertilize, mix 4-5 parts water to 1 part ash, stir well, pour into a watering can then spray directly onto the plants.
Activism materials available! ===> Contact me via PM to obtain quantities of the "Send Them Back", "NA Health Warning #1 +#2+#3" stickers, and any fliers listed in the Alliance website's flier webpage.

JohnUbele

Post by JohnUbele » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:20 am

Jim Mathias wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:59 am
I believe the same kind of "tea" can be made from wood ash for use as plant fertilizer. For those of us running a woodstove, fireplace, or what have you to keep warm this winter, don't throw the ash away. Place it in a container and store it in a place where it can be kept dry. When ready to fertilize, mix 4-5 parts water to 1 part ash, stir well, pour into a watering can then spray directly onto the plants.

I made worm casting tea a number of times. It was pretty helpful for my plants.

I learned how to make it when I took my Permaculture Design Course in 2012. It's fairly easy to make.

White Man 1

Post by White Man 1 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:27 am

Jim Mathias wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:59 am
One should use caution in straining ashes, depending on the type of wood burned it could create a lye capable of acid burns. However, instead of watering your plants with it you could use the lye in making soap.

JohnUbele

Post by JohnUbele » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:53 am

This is good to try for plants:

How to Build A Worm Tower
https://www.permaculturenews.org/2016/0 ... orm-tower/