State and Provincial Master Gardener Programs: Extension and Affiliated Program Listings

Becoming self-sufficient
JohnUbele

State and Provincial Master Gardener Programs: Extension and Affiliated Program Listings

Post by JohnUbele » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:00 am

"...Looking to find an Extension Master Gardener program in your state? Nearly all Master Gardener programs in the United States administer training through a state land-grant university and its Cooperative Extension Service, and are considered Extension Master Gardener programs.

Extension Master Gardeners receive and recommend university and research-based information through the Cooperative Extension System. The State Extension Master Gardener programs listed below follow these guidelines..."

Source:
https://mastergardener.extension.org/co ... a-program/

Jim Mathias

Re: State and Provincial Master Gardener Programs: Extension and Affiliated Program Listings

Post by Jim Mathias » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:14 am

Well done, John. Food security goes along with racial security.
Activism materials available! ===> Contact me via PM to obtain quantities of the "Send Them Back", "NA Health Warning #1 +#2+#3" stickers, and any fliers listed in the Alliance website's flier webpage.

Richard_G_603

Re: State and Provincial Master Gardener Programs: Extension and Affiliated Program Listings

Post by Richard_G_603 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:00 pm

NH's never re-opened from covid sadly.

JohnUbele

Post by JohnUbele » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:54 pm

Richard_G_603 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:00 pm

Would it be feasible for you to try to enroll in a program in Vermont or Mass?

The programs in those states may be making exceptions for people in NH.

Richard_G_603

Post by Richard_G_603 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:54 pm

JohnUbele wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:54 pm
Richard_G_603 wrote:

Unfortunately not. I'm sqaure in the heart of NH, a solid hour to the border each way.

John Yurgel

Post by John Yurgel » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:06 pm

If you are serious about growing your own food then this is your bible...

https://www.amazon.com/Market-Gardener- ... 0865717656

It's an amazon link (only for reference) it can be purchased elsewhere.
I switched to the Market Garden method or style if you will, a few years ago and I will never leave it. I can produce easily double what I used to in the same space and it's the most environmentally sound practice that I've seen yet. I've had my hands in the dirt for over 50 years and have seen and done all kinds of different gardening methods.

In a nutshell you make 30 inch wide beds in rows, and once established you never have to till them again leaving the natural soil flora and fauna undisturbed. It really makes a difference in how healthy your soil stays.
You use plastic silage tarps to smother weeds and create sterile seed beds (no weeds), and only tilth the top 1-2 inches of each bed thereafter.
All of the successful small farms are going to this method now.

The bed size is a standard now and equipment like row covers and low tunnels are being sold to accommodate this.
The 30" with 18" rows between makes care, weeding etc. many times easier than old standard gardening methods.

This link is to JM's you tube channel .. https://www.youtube.com/@TheMarketGardeners
Here is another farm successfully using this method. https://www.youtube.com/@honeytreefarmnc

JM does have a class himself that I have not taken but have heard many praises of it and I will probably take it next winter for the references and to have access to the community within it, there is a link attached to the you tube link.

If you're new to gardening please don't allow yourself to be sucked into the permaculture cult as it does have some sound practices but is populated by mostly wacko climatetards. I garden to feed my people not to sequester carbon that doesn't need it.

JohnUbele

Post by JohnUbele » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:57 am

Richard_G_603 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:54 pm
JohnUbele wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:54 pm
Richard_G_603 wrote:

Unfortunately not. I'm square in the heart of NH, a solid hour to the border each way.

I will make one other suggestion.

You might want to look into which types of classes or workshops the master gardener programs in Massachusetts and Vermont are offering. They may offer some useful half day or full day classes in various areas related to gardening.

When I was in Florida I took a few of the one day classes and they were helpful to me. I remember one of them was in organic pest control methods and another one I took was about plant propagation techniques.