AOC Apologizes for Blocking Jewish Leader on Twitter

Benjamin Bice

Post by Benjamin Bice » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:45 pm

Progressive star Rep. Alexandria-Ocasio Cortez (D-N.Y.) has apologized for blocking a prominent Jewish leader and former New York State Assemblyman Dov Hikind (D-Brooklyn) several months earlier.

In a settlement, sparing Ocasio-Cortez from a lawsuit, she said she had “reconsidered” her decision to block Hikind, saying, “Mr. Hikind has a First Amendment right to express his views and should not be blocked for them” according to documents obtained by The New York Post.

She added that her decision was “wrong and improper” and apologized to Hikind, “In retrospect, it was wrong and improper and does not reflect the values I cherish. I sincerely apologize for blocking Mr. Hikind.”

The former New York lawmaker said he was blocked on July 8 after he criticized Ocasio-Cortez for calling migrant detention centers “concentration camps.”

Hikind sued Ocasio-Cortez in July, claiming that she was violating his First Amendment rights, and calling her “cowardly“:

“Ocasio-Cortez is acting cowardly and should be ashamed of her attempts to silence me. I’ve done nothing but address her ignorance and disregard for the truth. She constantly brags about the millions of followers she has but is afraid of my speech. She is a hypocrite.”

Hikind cited a federal appeals court ruling from earlier that day, which said President Donald Trump was violating his critics’ First Amendment rights by blocking them, to say that the Ocasio-Cortez was violating his rights.

Last week, Hikind released a video sharing his excitement to confront her in court, and asked for support “in this important fight against antisemitism.”:

Watch his comments below:

Dov Hikind

@HikindDov
D-Day is coming: A Federal judge has called @AOC to testify on Nov 5 as to why she suppressed my 1A rights & I’ll confront her in court for supporting antisemites, and distorting Holocaust history.

But I need your help to do it. Do your part by visiting http://AmericansAA.org/donate

Hikind has been very vocal in his support of Israel and has criticized some Democrats for supporting the Boycott, Divestment, Sanction movement.

In August, Ocasio-Cortez said she had only blocked about 20 people on Twitter for “for harassment, not for political views.”

https://ijr.com/aoc-apologizes-blocking ... n-twitter/

Wade Hampton III

Re: AOC Apologizes for Blocking Jewish Leader on Twitter

Post by Wade Hampton III » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:46 am