What philosophy or (ies) did Revilo Oliver ascribe to?

David York

What philosophy or (ies) did Revilo Oliver ascribe to?

Post by David York » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:30 pm

I've heard him criticize Christianity, and Stoicism. Does anybody know which philosophy he most closely related to?

Cosmotheist

Re: What philosophy or (ies) did Revilo Oliver ascribe to?

Post by Cosmotheist » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:18 am

Hello Daniel,

These links might help answer your question:

http://www.revilo-oliver.com/rpo/RPO_Ne ... /chap3.htm
and
http://www.revilo-oliver.com/rpo/RPO_Ne ... toc_ol.htm
and
http://www.revilo-oliver.com/news/

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Cosmotheist

PS--For the distinction between "monotheism" and "cosmotheism" see this:
http://journalteologi.files.wordpress.c ... theism.pdf

Michael Olanich

Post by Michael Olanich » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:58 am

DanielOlj79 wrote:I've heard him criticize Christianity, and Stoicism. Does anybody know which philosophy he most closely related to?
Kevin is probably best qualified to answer this question in a brief, concise way; without going into a detailed explanation. I'm not sure what he thought of Dr. Pierce's religion Cosmotheism, but I can only assume he believed in an Evolutionary philosophy.

Cosmotheist

Post by Cosmotheist » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:57 am

Michael Olanich wrote:
DanielOlj79 wrote:I've heard him criticize Christianity, and Stoicism. Does anybody know which philosophy he most closely related to?
Kevin is probably best qualified to answer this question in a brief, concise way; without going into a detailed explanation. I'm not sure what he thought of Dr. Pierce's religion Cosmotheism, but I can only assume he believed in an Evolutionary philosophy.
Michael, perhaps Kevin could do so, in a brief and concise way. But, actually reading "what the man actually wrote"
about these subjects, or "a detailed explanation", will provide one with "much more insight and clarity" into "what
philosophy" he was "most closely related to", and of which was Daniel's actual question.

Best regards,
Cosmotheist

Michael Olanich

Post by Michael Olanich » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:40 am

Cosmotheist wrote:
Michael Olanich wrote:
Michael, perhaps Kevin could do so, in a brief and concise way. But, actually reading "what the man actually wrote"
about these subjects, or "a detailed explanation", will provide one with "much more insight and clarity" into "what
philosophy" he was "most closely related to", and of which was Daniel's actual question.

Best regards,
Cosmotheist

I agree, but some may not have much time to research and go through a lot of his work. Dr. Oliver was a very erudite man. Dan's question sounds like a personable one, which Mr. Strom can probably give us a personable answer because of his real life interactions and experience with Dr. Oliver. Of course, when I said brief and concise way, I didn't mean an answer consisting of a sentence or two. That just wouldn't cut it given Dr. Oliver's high intelligence and education.

Also, no offense to you Cosmotheist, but the links you provided does indeed give what Dr. Oliver's opinion on Christianity was, and also his heavy-handed research into the different forms of religion, but doesn't really give an answer to what he himself actually believed in (although, I have a pretty good idea). Again, unless you have the time to dig through his work, I believe it's a valid question to those who are unsure or even to newcomers who are discovering Dr. Oliver for the first time. You said it yourself, those links might help answer Dan's question. Perhaps there isn't a direct answer, but it still doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

Cosmotheist

Post by Cosmotheist » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Michael Olanich wrote:
Cosmotheist wrote:
Michael Olanich wrote:

Best regards,
Cosmotheist

I agree, but some may not have much time to research and go through a lot of his work. Dr. Oliver was a very erudite man. Dan's question sounds like a personable one, which Mr. Strom can probably give us a personable answer because of his real life interactions and experience with Dr. Oliver. Of course, when I said brief and concise way, I didn't mean an answer consisting of a sentence or two. That just wouldn't cut it given Dr. Oliver's high intelligence and education.

Also, no offense to you Cosmotheist, but the links you provided does indeed give what Dr. Oliver's opinion on Christianity was, and also his heavy-handed research into the different forms of religion, but doesn't really give an answer to what he himself actually believed in (although, I have a pretty good idea). Again, unless you have the time to dig through his work, I believe it's a valid question to those who are unsure or even to newcomers who are discovering Dr. Oliver for the first time. You said it yourself, those links might help answer Dan's question. Perhaps there isn't a direct answer, but it still doesn't hurt to ask. ;)
Ok, then perhaps a "few short quotes" might do. :D
See this link below:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Revilo_P._Oliver#Religion
Agreed. I would like to read Kevin's take on it as well. :D

No offense taken, Michael. It is pretty clear from his many and various writings that he was an atheist,
if not just a very critical agnostic.

For a brief example:

"The Bear in the Bush", Liberty Bell (September 1990)
"A real atheist, needless to say, will disregard what the dervishes think it expedient to say about the "New Testament" when they make their pitch to the ignorant. He will read the myths for himself and objectively consider and appraise them as a whole, including the social gospel that is, indeed, the most important and operative part of them. And he will shudder at the Judaic malevolence that inspires them, the vicious hatred of culture and civilization. They were designed to create a foul and squalid world in which every instinctive value of our race is negated and aborted--a world in which the natural ties of family and property have been severed, leaving only rootless and helpless individuals, isolated and lost in the terrible loneliness of crowds--a world without history, without philosophy, without science, without reason--a world without beauty of any kind, without art, without literature, without culture--a world without real love, the love that unites men and women, and without even the Aryan's instinctive feeling for the beauty of women and physical health."
"The Bear in the Bush", Liberty Bell (September 1990)

Many of those past and presently that are not fully-aware of what the late Dr. Pierce's Cosmotheism was about
erroneously become "atheistic" in their outlook falsely believing that "God" can only be a "person" and not an
"impersonal creative force all within everything that exists"
, and that "co-creates" all of our "objective reality".
See:
http://www.westernspring.co.uk/god-a-work-in-progress/

Dr. Pierce was a physicist and that background helped him to "see" this more clearly than did this professor
of the classics
, even as brilliant as he was, nevertheless. :D

Best regards,
Cosmotheist

Michael Olanich

Post by Michael Olanich » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:41 pm

Cosmotheist wrote:It is pretty clear from his many and various writings that he was an atheist, if not just a very critical agnostic.
This has been my understanding, and the ultimate conclusion I've come to as well regarding Revilo Oliver. This thread has actually made me curious as to what Dr. Oliver thought about Cosmotheism. I know he was the biggest influence on Dr. Pierce to write The Turner Diaries, when he suggested that he(Pierce) reach the White masses through the medium of fictional novels.

Cosmotheist

Post by Cosmotheist » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Cosmotheist wrote:Hello Michael,

Here is a link to a work, "Christianity and the Survival of the West",
published in November of 1972 that "clearly shows" that RO was an
atheist:

http://www.jrbooksonline.com/PDF_Books/ ... e-West.pdf
Michael wrote:

Yes, i agree with you: Click here: http://whitebiocentrism.com/viewtopic.p ... 1170#p2741
to see my post regarding this.

LOL! I know, I was using the "test" area and to respond to you here, but, you beat me to it. :D

I don't really know what he thought of Dr. Pierce's Cosmotheism, or even if he was aware of it,
but, I stand by what I wrote regarding it above.

Best regards,
Cosmotheist

Michael Olanich

Post by Michael Olanich » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:10 pm

Cosmotheist wrote:
Cosmotheist wrote:Hello Michael,

Here is a link to a work, "Christianity and the Survival of the West",
published in November of 1972 that "clearly shows" that RO was an
atheist:

http://www.jrbooksonline.com/PDF_Books/ ... e-West.pdf
Michael wrote:

Yes, i agree with you: Click here: http://whitebiocentrism.com/viewtopic.p ... 1170#p2741
to see my post regarding this.

LOL! I know, I was using the "test" area and to respond to you here, but, you beat me to it. :D

I don't really know what he thought of Dr. Pierce's Cosmotheism, or even if he was aware of it,
but, I stand by what I wrote regarding it above.

Best regards,
Cosmotheist
Lol, okay, no problem . :D

Thanks for the link. That piece does cement things, so to speak. :)

But, not to be a nitpicker here.. I mean, he had to at least be aware of Cosmotheism. Dr. Pierce created it back in 1976, and Dr. Oliver passed away in 1994. So he must have at least heard or have some knowledge of it in those 18 years!

Cosmotheist

Post by Cosmotheist » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Michael wrote:

But, not to be a nitpicker here.. I mean, he had to at least be aware of Cosmotheism. Dr. Pierce created it back in 1976, and Dr. Oliver passed away in 1994. So he must have at least heard or have some knowledge of it in those 18 years!

I just "don't know that he was aware" of Dr. Pierce's Cosmotheism, even in those 18 years, as I have been unable to find anything by RO that ever "specifically addresses or references" Dr. Pierce's Cosmotheism. However, here is a link that addresses the questions of "life after death" and of a possible "eternal external consciousness":
http://www.revilo-oliver.com/news/2012/ ... /#more-280

That question is one for either Will, or even better KAS, as he had his library and other personal papers that might shed some light on this very question.

Best regards,
Cosmotheist