Another "Advance" for American Students

Alexander Noble

Another "Advance" for American Students

Post by Alexander Noble » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:52 am

I just went to my nephew's 18th birthday party. We have a family tradition where the celebrant reads the birthday cards out loud to the attendees, then passes them around the group. My beloved nephew, who is about to graduate high school, couldn't read most of the cards--because they were written in cursive! His girlfriend had to read them to him. Amazingly, it seems as if it never occurred to him to be embarrassed. It seems some time back the school system decided that the future was here and kids would do all over their writing on computers and such, thus handwriting was an obsolete skill and a waste of time. The only cursive they're taught here now is how to write their signature, which is deemed as still necessary to sign official documents and occasionally write a check. His girlfriend apparently was motivated enough to teach herself. Has this idiocy hit the rest of the country?

Mike G

Re: Another "Advance" for American Students

Post by Mike G » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:26 pm

The school system and the youth of today are in a really sad state, I would be surprised if most of them could tell time on a clock without verifying it against the time on their cellular phones.

Michael