Land of Mine

PhuBai68

Land of Mine

Post by PhuBai68 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:58 pm

I'm watching a very dark, somewhat disturbing movie on DirecTV right now.
I have it paused, BRB -- okay, it IS actually based on a true story.
I was going to put this in "Hollywood" but this is NOT Hollywood crap but history.
“based-on-fact war drama, a group of German POW's are put to work by the Allies defusing their own landmines on the west coast of Denmark in the immediate aftermath of World War II.”
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/a ... and-moller
It's not diversity, it's displacement.

White Man 1

Re: Land of Mine

Post by White Man 1 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:37 pm

http://www.exulanten.com/powsmines.html
At the end of the war, mines had been laid on more than 500,000 hectares of land in France. The
French had asked the Americans and the British to hand German POWs over to them for use in
mine-clearing operations. London and Washington agreed, and the French forced tens of thousands
of German prisoners of war to clear minefields between mid-1945 and the end of 1947, regardless of
whether the mines had been laid by German army engineers or by the French army against German
forces. Possibly as many as 50,000 German POWs may have been used for this high-risk form of
forced labor. An estimated 1,800 of them died. Some of the survivors are asking for compensation.

PhuBai68

Re: Land of Mine

Post by PhuBai68 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Excellent find White Man.
If you hit the "back" and the end of the article it tells me that what my uncle is true.
He said when they had German POW's they march them aways down the road and just kill them.
He told my cousin, "I'd be god damned if they were gonna get hot chow, a tent and a cot while I was eating cold rations and sleeping outside."
It's not diversity, it's displacement.