The Associated Press Says It Will Capitalize ‘Black’ But Not ‘White’

Benjamin Bice

Post by Benjamin Bice » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:56 pm

By Joseph Curl

Jul 20, 2020 DailyWire.com

The Associated Press often sets the way people use language. For instance, the international wire service recently decided that the word “internet” would no longer be uppercase.

The news agency, which puts out an annual “style book” listing how words are to be used, also recently said that the word “black” should be written as “Black” when referring to African Americans. But on Monday, the AP said the word “white” should not be uppercased when referring to Caucasian people.

“The AP said white people in general have much less shared history and culture, and don’t have the experience of being discriminated against because of skin color,” the AP reported.

“We agree that white people’s skin color plays into systemic inequalities and injustices, and we want our journalism to robustly explore these problems,” John Daniszewski, the AP’s vice president for standards, said in a memo to staff on Monday. “But capitalizing the term white, as is done by white supremacists, risks subtly conveying legitimacy to such beliefs.”

The AP reported that publications like the Columbia Journalism Review, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, and Chicago Tribune have recently said they would capitalize Black, but have not done so for white. “White doesn’t represent a shared culture and history in the way Black does,” The New York Times said on July 5.

Meanwhile, the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) says “white” should be capitalized, too. “CNN, Fox News and The San Diego Union-Tribune said they will give white the uppercase, noting it was consistent with Black, Asian, Latino and other ethnic groups. Fox cited NABJ’s advice,” the AP wrote.

Some proponents believe that keeping white lowercase is actually anti-Black, saying it perpetuates the idea that whites are the default race.

“Whiteness remains invisible, and as is the case with all power structures, its invisibility does crucial work to maintain its power,” wrote Eve Ewing, a sociologist of race and education at the University of Chicago who said she’s changed her mind on the issue over the past two years.

Language has been a battleground of late. For instance, while the Oxford Dictionary defines the phrase “low-hanging fruit” as “a thing or person that can be won, obtained, or persuaded with little effort,” a college professor says the term is racist.

“For African-Americans, if you say ‘low-hanging fruit,’ we think lynching,” said Mae Hicks-Jones, an adjunct faculty member of Elgin Community College in Illinois.

“Grandfathered” is also racist, she said, according to a report this week in The College Fix. To Hicks-Jones, the phrase “grandfathered in” is reminiscent of a grandfather clause, which privileged white people’s right to vote over that of black people during the Jim Crow South.

Then there’s the “Masters” golf tournament. Rob Parker last month wrote a Deadline piece headlined “We’ve Lived with ‘The Masters’ Name Long Enough.”

“Augusta National was built on grounds that were once a slave plantation and was the property of a slave owner. And according to a 2019 New Yorker piece about the course, it’s believed that enslaved Blacks were housed on the property,” he wrote.

You’ll be surprised to hear there’s more.

Even food brands are being targeted. Quaker Oats announced last month that it would remove Aunt Jemima from its 133-year-old brand of syrup and pancake mix, while the company that makes Cream of Wheat said that it’s reviewing its brand and packaging, which features a black chef holding up a piping hot bowl of cereal.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/the-asso ... r3PMO_z1lU

Will Williams

Re: The Associated Press Says It Will Capitalize ‘Black’ But Not ‘White’

Post by Will Williams » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:11 pm

As a Disabled American Veteran I keep being sent, unsolicited, the VFW Magazine, though it is so Politically Correct that it is usually tossed in the trash as soon as it reaches the house. I looked through the recent January/February issue and the usual tripe about Black History, gender equality, etc., before tossing it, and an unusual letter to the editor caught my eye. A Daniel Barton of Fayetteville, NC asked:
When are you going to cease disrespecting and being discriminatory against "White" (sic) people? Your article [in the Nov./Dec.] issue refers to "Black" people, but when referring to "White" (sic) people you all use a lower case "w." This is discrimination and you would not publish an article that did just the opposite. Treat all the people the same.
DAV Magazine does treat all people as if they are the same, Mr. Barton, denying the fact that all humans are not the same. The magazine's editor responded with this:
Similarly to how military journalists are trained, DAV Magazine has long followed guidance set forth in the Associated Press (AP) Stylebook, which has been an industry standard for journalism for well over 50 years and is updated biannually. This is what the AP Stylebook says regarding the issue: Black (adj.) Use the capitalized term as an adjective in a racial, ethnic or cultural sense: Black people. Black culture, Black literature, Black studies, Black colleges. Use of the capitalized Black recognizes that, especially in the United States, the term reflects a shared identity and culture rather than skin color alone. Also use Black in a racial, ethnic and cultural differences outside the U.S. to avoid equating a person to skin color.
Well, there you go. Journalists are trained to use upper case when describing Blacks and lower case for whites because whites have "less shared history and culture." :roll: I noticed the magazine requests feedback, so I have emailed <[email protected]>:
After reading DAV Magazine's policy (on page 4 of the January/February issue) to capitalize the term Black and to use lower case for the term White in describing race, I request and insist, as a White man that you cease mailing me your magazine.
This reminded me of a piece here in SPLC is a Hate Group: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3595&start=70

---
Here's the "investigative reporter" that writes for both the SPLC and the Associated Press. That's convenient for SPLC to spread its "stories" to so many lazy MSM fake news outlets that reprint their smears unquestioningly. His "investigation" turns up in his opening sentence that I describe myself as a "tough guy." :lol: Mrs. Williams got a big laugh out of that.
Brett Barrouquere
Louisville, Ky.
Investigative Reporter — Southern Poverty Law Center
Crime and Justice, U.S. Regional
As seen in: Southern Poverty Law Center, HuffPost, MSN, ABC News, Associated Press, SFGate, Houston Chronicle, Boston.com, Washington Times, Yahoo, Newsday and more...

Here's a recent SPLC Intelligence Report piece Brett coauthors with self-described hate expert, Heidi Beirich.
Confronting Hate
By Brett Barrouquere, Heidi Beirich
splcenter.org — It's past time to combat all the ways hate morphs into violence and crime in the U.S. In this issue of the Intelligence Report, we shine a light on those facing hate who are often overlooked, in our special section Confronting Hate...

---
Benjamin Bice wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:56 pm

By Joseph Curl
Jul 20, 2020 DailyWire.com

The Associated Press often sets the way people use language. For instance, the international wire service recently decided that the word “internet” would no longer be uppercase.

The news agency, which puts out an annual “style book” listing how words are to be used, also recently said that the word “black” should be written as “Black” when referring to African Americans. But on Monday, the AP said the word “white” should not be uppercased when referring to Caucasian people.

“The AP said white people in general have much less shared history and culture, and don’t have the experience of being discriminated against because of skin color,” the AP reported.

“We agree that white people’s skin color plays into systemic inequalities and injustices, and we want our journalism to robustly explore these problems,” John Daniszewski, the AP’s vice president for standards, said in a memo to staff on Monday. “But capitalizing the term white, as is done by white supremacists, risks subtly conveying legitimacy to such beliefs.”

The AP reported that publications like the Columbia Journalism Review, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, and Chicago Tribune have recently said they would capitalize Black, but have not done so for white. “White doesn’t represent a shared culture and history in the way Black does,” The New York Times said on July 5.

Meanwhile, the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) says “white” should be capitalized, too. “CNN, Fox News and The San Diego Union-Tribune said they will give white the uppercase, noting it was consistent with Black, Asian, Latino and other ethnic groups. Fox cited NABJ’s advice,” the AP wrote.

Some proponents believe that keeping white lowercase is actually anti-Black, saying it perpetuates the idea that whites are the default race.

“Whiteness remains invisible, and as is the case with all power structures, its invisibility does crucial work to maintain its power,” wrote Eve Ewing, a sociologist of race and education at the University of Chicago who said she’s changed her mind on the issue over the past two years.

Language has been a battleground of late. For instance, while the Oxford Dictionary defines the phrase “low-hanging fruit” as “a thing or person that can be won, obtained, or persuaded with little effort,” a college professor says the term is racist.

“For African-Americans, if you say ‘low-hanging fruit,’ we think lynching,” said Mae Hicks-Jones, an adjunct faculty member of Elgin Community College in Illinois.

“Grandfathered” is also racist, she said, according to a report this week in The College Fix. To Hicks-Jones, the phrase “grandfathered in” is reminiscent of a grandfather clause, which privileged white people’s right to vote over that of black people during the Jim Crow South.

Then there’s the “Masters” golf tournament. Rob Parker last month wrote a Deadline piece headlined “We’ve Lived with ‘The Masters’ Name Long Enough.”

“Augusta National was built on grounds that were once a slave plantation and was the property of a slave owner. And according to a 2019 New Yorker piece about the course, it’s believed that enslaved Blacks were housed on the property,” he wrote.

You’ll be surprised to hear there’s more.

Even food brands are being targeted. Quaker Oats announced last month that it would remove Aunt Jemima from its 133-year-old brand of syrup and pancake mix, while the company that makes Cream of Wheat said that it’s reviewing its brand and packaging, which features a black chef holding up a piping hot bowl of cereal.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/the-asso ... r3PMO_z1lU
If Whites insist on participating in "social media," do so on ours, not (((theirs))). Like us on WhiteBiocentrism.com; follow us on NationalVanguard.org. ᛉ

Will Williams

Post by Will Williams » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:24 pm

It goes without saying that despite anti-White AP's Stylebook, National Alliance policy is to capitalize the word White when referring to people of our race, even to those who deny our race.

That was Dr. Pierce's standard which we retain. We also capitalize the word Black and the word Jew when referring to those of their respective races. Language standards are important, especially our own.
If Whites insist on participating in "social media," do so on ours, not (((theirs))). Like us on WhiteBiocentrism.com; follow us on NationalVanguard.org. ᛉ

Jim Mathias

Post by Jim Mathias » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:18 am

This is a welcome reminder, Will. Too often comments about National Vanguard articles by purportedly pro-White non Alliance members fail to practice this and we members should be setting a good example for them by abiding this standard here, at NV and everywhere.
Activism materials available! ===> Contact me via PM to obtain quantities of the "Send Them Back", "NA Health Warning #1 +#2+#3" stickers, and any fliers listed in the Alliance website's flier webpage.

Supremely White

Post by Supremely White » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:03 am

What pisses me off when I lurk over at stormfront is when I see too many members, even some sustaining members, using lowercase w for White, even while making pro White statements.

When I type about our enemies, I almost puke in my mouth at the thought of putting a capital letter in front of their race. African American is capitalized because it is a location, but I never use that expression to describe the tar babies anyway.
Asian is capitalized because it is a continent, but I don’t call them Asian anyway, I call them orientals (if it’s East Asian, the slanted eyed ones…Harold, not Kumar…both Asian). And I use oriental if I’m being polite, or trying to follow forum rules. Otherwise, I call them as I see ‘em.

If anyone sees black capitalized in anything I post, that’s because people like Jim here do the editing before a post can be approved to be published.
Hitler was right.

Jim Mathias

Post by Jim Mathias » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:00 am

Supremely White wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:03 am
If anyone sees black capitalized in anything I post, that’s because people like Jim here do the editing before a post can be approved to be published.
You're welcome! :lol:
Activism materials available! ===> Contact me via PM to obtain quantities of the "Send Them Back", "NA Health Warning #1 +#2+#3" stickers, and any fliers listed in the Alliance website's flier webpage.

Will Williams

Post by Will Williams » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:52 pm

Jim Mathias wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:00 am
Supremely White wrote:
Ha! You missed SW's lower case black there, Jim. :D

Victor Arminius

Post by Victor Arminius » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:22 pm

Long before the Associated Press decided not to capitalize the word White when referring to a racial group the CPUSA (Communist Party USA) was already doing that. They always capitalized Black, Hispanic, Jew, Asian, and every other ethnic group except for Whites. They always used a lowercase w in that regard. So this is where the AP got the idea from.

Supremely White

Post by Supremely White » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:30 pm

Victor Arminius wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:22 pm
Long before the Associated Press decided not to capitalize the word White when referring to a racial group the CPUSA (Communist Party USA) was already doing that. They always capitalized Black, Hispanic, Jew, Asian, and every other ethnic group except for Whites. They always used a lowercase w in that regard. So this is where the AP got the idea from.
Likely not really their idea, because we know who has pulled the strings of the media. Even back in the days of the first Weimar Republic. As you can probably feel, we’re smack dab in the middle of the 21st century American version of the Weimar Republic, maybe worse, because we don’t have an idealistic charismatic Fuhrer relentlessly working to try to put an end to the corruption and show devotion to his Volk of his nation.
Kike has no capitalization, except at the beginning of a sentence, unless I’m yelling at them, then it’s all caps. But I digress, because that word never gets printed. The ADL, SPLC, their attack dogs in the FBI, etc would shut that all down in the blink of an eye.
Hitler was right.

Jim Mathias

Post by Jim Mathias » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:21 am

Will Williams wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:52 pm
Jim Mathias wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:00 am
Supremely White wrote:

Ha! You missed SW's lower case black there, Jim. :D
So I did, Will! Perhaps now that we're all aware of the standard everyone will pitch in and police themselves. :)