CBS Portrays Human Smugglers as Good Samaritans

Benjamin Bice

CBS Portrays Human Smugglers as Good Samaritans

Post by Benjamin Bice » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:47 pm

CBS Portrays Human Smugglers as Good Samaritans 'Helping' the Needy

By Kristine Marsh | April 1, 2019 9:16 AM EDT

In what world are human smugglers and traffickers considered unsung heroes? In the upside down world of liberal media land, apparently. CBS News was heavily criticized this weekend on Twitter after tweeting out this positive descriptor of the “coyotes” who guide immigrants illegally across the U.S./Mexico border:

What makes it worse is it wasn’t just a bad tweet from a social media intern. The article that the tweet linked to used the same ludicrous language:

“Border Business: The human coyotes helping migrants survive Central America's grueling Darien Gap jungle,” the headline reads, with an accompanying video. The sympathetic piece on smugglers is apparently part of a documentary CBS News made on illegal immigration.

In the article and video a human smuggler touts his work as a Good Samaritan:

"I helped a lot of people, particularly women with children." said Gonzalez Jimenez. "Because many have passed through here and not made it. They have fallen. They have fallen and died. And that's why a person like that needs someone to guide them. And guide them well."

CBS’ reporter Arijeta Lajka notes that the rough terrain creates an “economic opportunity” for smugglers, but take their word for it, “they don't only do it for the money:”

"Most people think we (smugglers) are bad," Gonzalez Jimenez said. "But if a person needs to go from there to here, and can't do it… and they tell me, 'I'm going to pay you five, 10, 20 dollars… to take me to whatever location.' And if I didn't have a job at the time… to me, that's good."

Sounds like a great bunch of kind-hearted people, right? What was that again about smugglers frequently raping women they were “helping” to cross the border illegally? In fact, sexual assault is so prevalent that young women will be often given birth control by their families ahead of the trek, a reality that was mocked by the left recently when President Trump spoke about it.

Of course Twitter users didn’t think the favorable portrayal of human smugglers and traffickers, ie: criminals, was that funny, and ripped them for it:

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/kr ... aign=su_sh