Recommendations

Benjamin Bice

Re: Recommendations

Post by Benjamin Bice » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:54 am

Since I started off by recommending something from the high fantasy genre, I would be remiss to not mention JRR Tolkien. He is basically the forefather of the modern epic fantasy genre, and certainly an inspiration to Mr. Stephen Donaldson and many others who came after him. He was an English professor at Oxford University as well as a WW I veteran. He was a Catholic who many conjecture had a fondness for Jews. Nonetheless, that he had a very racially inclined mind shows through in his four novels- The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Like me, he didn't begin to make serious attempts at writing real stories to relatively later in life (latter 30s). He work slowly and took his time writing (again, like me).
The Hobbit, though not a particularly long novel, took several years to complete and finally was published in 1937, the year he turned 45. The Lord of the Rings took him 14 or more years to finish, and the books were finally published in the earlier 1950s. During the remainder of his 81 year lifetime, he completed no more novels, though he lived another 20 years or so, expiring in 1973.

Benjamin Bice

Post by Benjamin Bice » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:02 am

http://www.tolkienestate.com/home/
Here is a link I meant to include in the above post. Sorry about the occasional typos in some of my posts. I don't really read my posts, specifically my longer posts, until after I submit them. I'm used to forums where I can edit after the fact. If that option exists here, I would make use of it.

Benjamin Bice

Post by Benjamin Bice » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:10 am

"Shanara" author Terry Brooks deserves to be mentioned too. The former lawyer has been a professional writer for about 37 years. Though I've only read a few of them, I believe he has over 20 Shanara novels out now. Del Rey Books was actually started specifically to publish his first novel.
http://terrybrooks.net/

Kevin Alfred Strom
Site Admin

Post by Kevin Alfred Strom » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:13 am

Benjamin Bice wrote:http://www.tolkienestate.com/home/
Here is a link I meant to include in the above post. Sorry about the occasional typos in some of my posts. I don't really read my posts, specifically my longer posts, until after I submit them. I'm used to forums where I can edit after the fact. If that option exists here, I would make use of it.

Tolkien was definitely racially-minded, though he distrusted modernity in all things, and so distrusted the scientifically advanced ideas inherent in eugenics and 20th century racial-nationalism. I think he was more racially-minded than he was willing to admit, because it came out years after his death that he was a lifetime subscriber to A.K. Chesterton's Candour, published by the League of Empire Loyalists. Chesterton was a racial thinker, a critic of Jews, and a friend of Revilo Oliver's.

It is possible to edit posts after the fact. Look at the subject line of your individual post. You'll see an "edit" button off to the right on that same line.

With all good wishes,

Kevin.

Benjamin Bice

Post by Benjamin Bice » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:16 am

It can be hard to find good female writers in the sci-fi/fantasy genre(s). It is only because that statement is true that it used to ne very hard for women to become successful authors in that field. In fact, the perception against women writers was so prevalent that female authors who did broker a publishing deal up through the 1970s, and even the 1980s, used male-sounding pseudonyms to pen their works under. Not so with Anne McCaffrey! She wrote many novels throughout her long career before passing away at 85 years of age in 2011. She had a talent for blending sci-fi and high fantasy concepts, and for writing about themes of psychic phenomena, that has probably never been matched by anyone- male or female. Here is the official website of the dearly departed Irish woman.

Benjamin Bice

Post by Benjamin Bice » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:19 am

Benjamin Bice

Post by Benjamin Bice » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:25 am

Kevin, I know this sounds incredibly stupid- but, how do I look at the subject line of my individual posts? I am almost always using android, and I don't know if that changes anything.

Kevin Alfred Strom
Site Admin

Post by Kevin Alfred Strom » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:41 am

Benjamin Bice wrote:Kevin, I know this sounds incredibly stupid- but, how do I look at the subject line of my individual posts? I am almost always using android, and I don't know if that changes anything.
Benjamin --

You should see a subject line for each individual post, right at the top of the post, beneath the separator line between posts. Off to the right of the subject line is a button marked "edit" which only appears if you are the author of the post and are logged in.

Here's what it looks like on my PC (but I have no idea what will appear using Android):
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (17.7 KiB) Viewed 5801 times
To see the right side of this attached image, you will have to use its scroll bar and scroll way off to the right. But it is there.

All the best,

Kevin.

Benjamin Bice

Post by Benjamin Bice » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:09 pm

Got a good one for you, Kevin!
“Time, space, and natural law hold for me suggestions of intolerable bondage, and I can form no picture of emotional satisfaction which does not involve their defeat—especially the defeat of time, so that one may merge oneself with the whole historic stream and be wholly emancipated from the transient and the ephemeral.”
— H.P. Lovecraft

Kevin Alfred Strom
Site Admin

Post by Kevin Alfred Strom » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:00 am

Benjamin Bice wrote:Got a good one for you, Kevin!
“Time, space, and natural law hold for me
suggestions of intolerable bondage, and I can
form no picture of emotional satisfaction
which does not involve their defeat—especial
ly the defeat of time, so that one may merge
oneself with the whole historic stream and be
wholly emancipated from the transient and
the ephemeral.”
— H.P. Lovecraft

Thanks for that. Lovecraft had an amazing imagination.