Cui Bono?

David York

Cui Bono?

Post by David York » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:23 am

I first heard the phrase "Cui Bono?" which translates to "to who's benefit?' from Kevin Alfred Strom's 1996 ADV Broadcast A-Hoaxing We Will Go (7/13/1996). I happened to hear this broadcast for the first time relatively recently, but it was the first time I heard someone use the phrase Cui Bono? . Since then I've heard this phrase repeated numerous times in the Alternative media, and by individuals who post on WN web forums. I noticed big names such as Alex Jones using this phrase not very long ago. I am under the impression that Kevin Alfred Strom was the first person to popularize this phrase, since I had not heard it before the 7/13/1996 ADV broadcast. Can anyone confirm or deny whether this phrase was first made popular by none other than our own, Kevin Alfred Strom? If so I would say that Kevin's broadcasts and his quotations and phrases seem to have a very deep penetrating effect in the White Nationalist community and even the Alternative Media in general. Not many people credit Kevin Strom with the contributions he's made to the White Nationalist Lexicon, but they nevertheless use his contributions whether they realize it or not.

Martin Graves

Re: Cui Bono?

Post by Martin Graves » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:09 pm

The Roman orator and statesman Marcus Tullius Cicero, in his speech Pro Roscio Amerino, section 84, attributed the expression cui bono to the Roman consul and censor Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla:

“L. Cassius ille quem populus Romanus verissimum et sapientissimum iudicem putabat identidem in causis quaerere solebat 'cui bono' fuisset.”
(The famous Lucius Cassius, whom the Roman people used to regard as a very honest and wise judge, was in the habit of asking, time and again, 'To whose benefit?')

That is the origin of the phrase. Whether or not Mr. Strom has brought it back and popularized it is unknown to me.

Kevin Alfred Strom
Site Admin

Post by Kevin Alfred Strom » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:53 pm

DanielOlj79 wrote:I first heard the phrase "Cui Bono?" which translates to "to who's benefit?' from Kevin Alfred Strom's 1996 ADV Broadcast A-Hoaxing We Will Go (7/13/1996). I happened to hear this broadcast for the first time relatively recently, but it was the first time I heard someone use the phrase Cui Bono? . Since then I've heard this phrase repeated numerous times in the Alternative media, and by individuals who post on WN web forums. I noticed big names such as Alex Jones using this phrase not very long ago. I am under the impression that Kevin Alfred Strom was the first person to popularize this phrase, since I had not heard it before the 7/13/1996 ADV broadcast. Can anyone confirm or deny whether this phrase was first made popular by none other than our own, Kevin Alfred Strom? If so I would say that Kevin's broadcasts and his quotations and phrases seem to have a very deep penetrating effect in the White Nationalist community and even the Alternative Media in general. Not many people credit Kevin Strom with the contributions he's made to the White Nationalist Lexicon, but they nevertheless use his contributions whether they realize it or not.

Mr. Simpson is right. I may have first encountered the expression in Revilo Oliver's writings, but neither he nor I originated it. It's a very useful phrase and concept, especially these days.

All the best,

Kevin.

David York

Post by David York » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:23 pm

Kevin Alfred Strom wrote:
DanielOlj79 wrote:I first heard the phrase "Cui Bono?" which translates to "to who's benefit?' from Kevin Alfred Strom's 1996 ADV Broadcast A-Hoaxing We Will Go (7/13/1996). I happened to hear this broadcast for the first time relatively recently, but it was the first time I heard someone use the phrase Cui Bono? . Since then I've heard this phrase repeated numerous times in the Alternative media, and by individuals who post on WN web forums. I noticed big names such as Alex Jones using this phrase not very long ago. I am under the impression that Kevin Alfred Strom was the first person to popularize this phrase, since I had not heard it before the 7/13/1996 ADV broadcast. Can anyone confirm or deny whether this phrase was first made popular by none other than our own, Kevin Alfred Strom? If so I would say that Kevin's broadcasts and his quotations and phrases seem to have a very deep penetrating effect in the White Nationalist community and even the Alternative Media in general. Not many people credit Kevin Strom with the contributions he's made to the White Nationalist Lexicon, but they nevertheless use his contributions whether they realize it or not.

Mr. Simpson is right. I may have first encountered the expression in Revilo Oliver's writings, but neither he nor I originated it. It's a very useful phrase and concept, especially these days.

All the best,

Kevin.
Thanks for the reply Kevin, and WGS. Yeah I was aware that the phrase actually existed prior to your use of it back in 1996, since it's in Latin and all. But nevertheless I see this phrase all the time nowadays. I'm not sure if it was a popular phrase at all prior to 1996. So basically what I am wondering is how much of an impact the ADVs of the past an present has made on the general public. I think Cui Bono? may be a bit trivial, but the other quotation which I see a lot of is "In order to find out who rules you, just ask whom you may not criticize.". As I'm sure you already know this KAS that that phrase is popularly credited to Voltaire. If it is true that you were the first person to use that quote then I would say that was quite a remarkable contribution to the American Lexicon. I was wondering if it was possible for you to trade mark that phrase? I swear If you had a nickle for every time someones used that expression these days, you would probably be a rich man!

Kevin Alfred Strom
Site Admin

Post by Kevin Alfred Strom » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:59 pm

DanielOlj79 wrote:

All the best,

Kevin.
Thanks for the reply Kevin, and WGS. Yeah I was aware that the phrase actually existed prior to your use of it back in 1996, since it's in Latin and all. But nevertheless I see this phrase all the time nowadays. I'm not sure if it was a popular phrase at all prior to 1996. So basically what I am wondering is how much of an impact the ADVs of the past an present has made on the general public. I think Cui Bono? may be a bit trivial, but the other quotation which I see a lot of is "In order to find out who rules you, just ask whom you may not criticize.". As I'm sure you already know this KAS that that phrase is popularly credited to Voltaire. If it is true that you were the first person to use that quote then I would say that was quite a remarkable contribution to the American Lexicon. I was wondering if it was possible for you to trade mark that phrase? I swear If you had a nickle for every time someones used that expression these days, you would probably be a rich man!

I did originate that one, as scholars and the media are finally starting to acknowledge:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/to-learn ... premacist/

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/01/19/ ... qus_thread

I don't think short phrases can be trademarked or copyrighted in any way that would get me a nickel per mention, though the idea is fun to think about!

With every good wish,

Kevin.

Kevin Alfred Strom
Site Admin

Post by Kevin Alfred Strom » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:00 pm

And I am not sure how popular "Cui bono" was prior to 1996. I'll look into it.

UPDATE:

Here's a chart that shows the popularity of the phrase. There's been an uptick since 2000, though I doubt I had much if anything to do with that.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... no%3B%2Cc0

Thanks,

Kevin.

David York

Post by David York » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:07 pm

DanielOlj79 wrote:

All the best,

Kevin.

I did originate that one, as scholars and the media are finally starting to acknowledge:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/to-learn ... premacist/

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/01/19/ ... qus_thread

I don't think short phrases can be trademarked or copyrighted in any way that would get me a nickel per mention, though the idea is fun to think about!

With every good wish,

Kevin.
That's great that you are getting some due credit for that phrase by some sources. Are you positive that you can't trademark that phrase? I recall there was a ring announcer who trademarked the expression "Let's get ready to rumble". His name was Michael Buffer. If I'm not mistaken he was paid millions of dollars just to say that phrase during main events in Boxing and other competitive fighting. Perhaps the trademarking ability is only applicable to the verbal expression of the phrase? I'm not too sure of the details. I'll try to look into it though.. Take care,

Dan O.