Biologists in WSJ: Only Two Sexes, Male and Female, There is No Sex 'Spectrum'

Benjamin Bice

Post by Benjamin Bice » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:39 am

By Michael W. Chapman | February 14, 2020 | 1:18pm EST

In a powerful commentary in the Feb. 3 edition of The Wall Street Journal, biologists Colin Wright and Emma Hilton explain that, scientifically, there are only two sexes, male and female, and there is no sex "spectrum." They also stress that "biologists and medical professionals" must stop being politically correct and "stand up for the empirical reality of biological sex."

With the phenomenon of some men saying they "identify" as women and some women saying they "identify" as men, or any "gender identity" combination therein, "we see a dangerous and anti-scientific trend toward the outright denial of biological sex," state the biologists Wright and Hilton.

This notion that there is a sex "spectrum," where people can choose "to identify as male or female," regardless of their anatomy, is irrational and has "no basis in reality," say the biologists. "It is false at every conceivable scale of resolution."

As they explain, "In humans, as in most animals or plants, an organism’s biological sex corresponds to one of two distinct types of reproductive anatomy that develop for the production of small or large sex cells—sperm and eggs, respectively—and associated biological functions in sexual reproduction."

"In humans, reproductive anatomy is unambiguously male or female at birth more than 99.98% of the time," they write. "The evolutionary function of these two anatomies is to aid in reproduction via the fusion of sperm and ova."

"No third type of sex cell exists in humans, and therefore there is no sex “spectrum” or additional sexes beyond male and female," state the biologists. "Sex is binary."

Furthermore, "the existence of only two sexes does not mean sex is never ambiguous," write Hilton and Wright. "But intersex individuals are extremely rare, and they are neither a third sex nor proof that sex is a 'spectrum' or a 'social construct.'"

The two scientists go on to explain that those "most vulnerable to sex denialism are children" because "gender identity" instead of biological sex can cause confusion. Puberty-blocking drugs and "affirmation therapies" that reinforce this confusion may contribute to gender dysphoria, say Hilton and Wright.

They add that this "pathologizing of sex-atypical behavior is extremely worrying and regressive. It is similar to gay 'conversion' therapy, except that it’s now bodies instead of minds that are being converted to bring children into 'proper' alignment with themselves."

Transgender cyclist Rachel McKinnon has defended her right to compete in women's sport despite accepting trans athletes may retain a physical advantage over their rivals. (Photo by OLI SCARFF/AFP via Getty Images)

In conclusion, they state, "The time for politeness on this issue has passed. Biologists and medical professionals need to stand up for the empirical reality of biological sex. When authoritative scientific institutions ignore or deny empirical fact in the name of social accommodation, it is an egregious betrayal to the scientific community they represent. It undermines public trust in science, and it is dangerously harmful to those most vulnerable."

Colin Wright is an evolutionary biologist at Penn State. Emma Hilton is a developmental biologist at the University of Manchester.

h/t The Wall Street Journal

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w- ... 00PYt4zv5A

Jim Mathias

Re: Biologists in WSJ: Only Two Sexes, Male and Female, There is No Sex 'Spectrum'

Post by Jim Mathias » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:17 am

Uh oh, someone is challenging the American version of Lysenkoism again. When the politically correct yahoos come after them with their pitchforks and long knives, will Wright and Hilton grovel and apologize?
Activism materials available! ===> Contact me via PM to obtain quantities of the "Send Them Back", "NA Health Warning #1 +#2+#3" stickers, and any fliers listed in the Alliance website's flier webpage.

Colin

Re: Biologists in WSJ: Only Two Sexes, Male and Female, There is No Sex 'Spectrum'

Post by Colin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:29 am

They will probably lose those college jobs and not be able to get anymore research grants. That is the usual punishment for what they view as scientific heretics.

Wade Hampton III

Post by Wade Hampton III » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:25 pm

Susan C. posted....

This boys' parents should be jailed for child neglect and child abuse.
The kid's problem lies between his ears, not his legs. Get him the
mental health that he needs and deserves.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/17-ye ... rsary-of-g

June 8, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) – Jazz Jennings, the 17-year-old who has
lived most of his life as a “girl” in media limelight, is scheduled to
have his male genitals removed and replaced with a “vagina” made
partially from his stomach tissue.

The surgery will be on June 26, he announced. June 26 is the
anniversary of Obergefell v. Hodges, the Supreme Court decision that
imposed same-sex “marriage” on the U.S. in 2015.

Jennings is the star of the TLC reality show I am Jazz, which has
documented his life as a transgender “girl.” The children’s book I am
Jazz, inspired and co-authored by Jennings, is used to introduce young
children to transgenderism.

The surgery on Jennings’ genitalia is experimental. The stomach tissue
will help create more “depth” in his “new” genitalia, he explained.
Hormone blockers have prevented his body from developing properly,
causing permanent damage, so there is much less genital “tissue” with
which doctors have to work.

“Because I started the [puberty] blockers so early, I never went
through puberty,” he explained in a YouTube video about the upcoming
surgery. “That’s why I’ve been able to be so feminine. But because of
that, it caused me to be so suppressed that I didn’t have growth in
that region.”

These facts were highlighted in an August 2017 TLC episode during
which Jennings traveled with his parents to Philadelphia for a
consultation about a “sex-change” surgery.

“I haven’t experienced any sexual sensation...I don’t even know what
she’s talking about,” Jennings said after the surgeon talked to him
and his parents about that topic. “It is possible that hormone
suppression has affected my libido. I don’t have the same signals
coming from my genitalia to my brain and I don’t have those hormones
driving me on.”

In that episode, the doctor warned, “post-op depression is very
common” but claimed it “doesn’t mean you’re having regret.”

The many people who have undergone “sex reassignment” surgery and
regretted it would likely disagree. Their many stories are documented
at sexchangeregret.com.

Some of these stories are also told in the documentary TranZformed: