The New Gustav Leonhardt Edition

Works that stir the soul
Steam-Powered

The New Gustav Leonhardt Edition

Post by Steam-Powered » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:36 pm

Sometimes the mainstream record labels get it right, in this case another winner from Warner Classics: The New Gustav Leonhard Edition. It contains his complete recordings from the Das Alte Werk label on 35 compact discs. Some of the albums in this set haven't been available since the 1970s making it a "must have" for those with deep appreciation for music of the Baroque era. Quite reasonably priced, too, as I found it on amazon for just 89 bucks (less than three dollars per disc). Although the Brandenburg Concertos aren't inlcluded (he recorded them on another label), this set is the most comprehensive retrospective available.

J.S. Bach, Biber, Hasse, Schutz, Purcell, Couperin, Poglietti Grigny, Rameau, Handel, Monteverdi, Lawes, Byrd, Dowland, and C.P.E. Bach, just to name a few, are given the most lively interpretations by Leonhardt in this set.

Warner Classics also recently released the complete studio recordings of Wilhelm Furtwangler which I do not recommend as some discs are tainted with the violin of Yehudi Menuhin among others.
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how"
-Friedrich Nietzche

Jim Mathias

Re: The New Gustav Leonhardt Edition

Post by Jim Mathias » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:22 pm

By Warner though? I wouldn't give those Jews anything if I can help it. Are there no Aryan suppliers available?
Activism materials available! ===> Contact me via PM to obtain quantities of the "Send Them Back", "NA Health Warning #1 +#2+#3" stickers, and any fliers listed in the Alliance website's flier webpage.

Steam-Powered

Post by Steam-Powered » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:56 pm

Jim Mathias wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:22 pm
Are there no Aryan suppliers available?
Unfortunately, Warner is literally the only supplier of these recordings, most aren't even available on bootlegs. In fact, some albums in this set were released on vinyl in 1969 and never re-issued on cassette nor compact disc until now. The only way to appreciate the masterful artistry of Gustav Leonhardt's rare recordings is in this set. The Karl Bohm set, also on Warner, contains recordings not available anywhere else, not even on bootlegs.

I've been buying bootleg tapes and compact discs of Bohm, Leonhardt, Furtwangler, etc., since the mid-90s. Today, Warner is literally the only option for many such recordings. And they sound significantly better than the old bootlegs.
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how"
-Friedrich Nietzche

BenMillan

Post by BenMillan » Thu May 12, 2022 4:02 pm

I just found a copy on The Pirate Bay, downloading it now. Let's see how it goes. Torrent sites are hit and miss, and they don't always last long.

Here's the URL if anyone wants to try it out:
https://pirate-proxy.club/search.php?q= ... ardt&cat=0