SPLC loses lawsuit, ordered to pay 130K

Summaries and links to news items
C.E. Whiteoak

SPLC loses lawsuit, ordered to pay 130K

Post by C.E. Whiteoak » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:59 am

On March 20th, 2012, the SPLC gleefully announced that they were suing Polk County, Florida Sheriff Grady Judd for allegedly abusing juveniles.

The SPLC then goes silent on the lawsuit and never mentions it again on their website. The SPLC does not want you to know how the case ended. Not only did the judge rule against them, they were ordered to reimburse Polk County $130k.
I know 130 thousand is hardly a drop in the Lie Center's overflowing bucket of filthy lucre. 130 million wouldn't break them, not by a long shot, but this is a start, and should have some humiliation value. :lol:

The story is here, along with a picture of the check they were forced to write to Polk County:
http://stop-hate-crimes.com/2015/10/02/ ... s-lawsuit/

C.E. Whiteoak

Re: SPLC loses lawsuit, ordered to pay 130K

Post by C.E. Whiteoak » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:07 am

I hadn't read all the posts in the "Heidi Beirich is a Liar" thread when I posted the above, but a happy event deserves widespread coverage. :D :D

Kevin Alfred Strom
Site Admin

Post by Kevin Alfred Strom » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Thanks for the news item; it's a brighter day today.

Kevin.

Alexander Noble

Post by Alexander Noble » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:47 am

It can be done.

Benjamin Bice

Post by Benjamin Bice » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:13 am

Kevin Alfred Strom wrote:Thanks for the news item; it's a brighter day today.

Kevin.
Yes indeed, Mr. Strom.

Sheriff Grady Judd wrote the following on Facebook…

Back in April, I promised the taxpayers of Polk County that we would go after the legal costs and fees associated with this frivolous lawsuit, after U.S. District Court Judge Steven Merryday ruled in our favor that there was absolutely no evidence that juveniles in our county jail were being treated unfairly, as alleged by the plaintiffs. Not only did His Honor pen a 182-page ruling against their claims, he rebuked the SPLC for their legal arguments.

As you know, I am very fiscally conservative, and we are always looking for ways to save money. When we have to spend money defending ourselves against ridiculous allegations such as these, we will pursue every avenue to recover costs allowable by law. We couldn’t be more thrilled that we were able to recoup some of those dollars.

Judge Merryday wrote:

The Sheriff asserts that, because they knew the plaintiffs’ claims were meritless, the plaintiffs’ lawyers chose “untrue, heightened, and emotional language . . . to conceal their lack of a case.” Addressing the law in the case, the Sheriff concludes that the plaintiffs “purposely and repeatedly misrepresented the constitutional standard,” the definition of which was paramount because the plaintiffs maintained each claim exclusively under the Fourteenth Amendment. The Sheriff contends that the plaintiffs’ lawyers, realizing that neither the facts nor the law sustained the claims, “[had] a duty to discontinue their quest” no later than the close of discovery.