Special Forces in Laos Facebook Post

PhuBai68

Special Forces in Laos Facebook Post

Post by PhuBai68 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:44 am

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5E92DC0C

I'm doing a copy/paste of an interesting post I came upon in Facebook ••••

Here is a re-post on Bubba.
We got him in Laos after his mom tramped on a land mine. He was only two days old, but I had him in my jungle jacket wrapped in a towel and when we were extracted we fed him milk and got him on his way. He did well because he got much larger than an Asian Tiger usually grew to. His weakness was real beer (He had two cans a day) which he slurped down, went to a corner of the hooch, rolled on his back, showed his junk and snored like the last day! If the bubster wanted to get in your bunk with you, you just rolled over and dealt with it. It's such a shame so many tigers were killed over there because most were killed for sport and not in human defense. When we cycled out the question was what the hell do with Bubba??? He couldn't survive because he only knew SOG,SF,Seals etc. Here is where we got creative. We had access to things normal military didn't. So we got creative and a phone call went to a research zoo in Sidney Australia and were asked if they wanted a free tiger. When the lady at the other end realized we were for real she pissed her pants and said yes, but how do we get him? I don't want to reference Air America, but we flew the bubster to his new home and i got off the airplane with him walking beside me like a dog on a leash. They all went nuts when he walked to the lady and heeled by her side looking at her for instructions. He must have had a very good time and life there because he sired tons of babies. When I was back in Sidney in 87 I saw a bronze plaque telling about the SF Tiger that came to them in 1969 and made lotsa great baby tigers. That part of my life is gone like Bubba who lasted to 85, but every time I here a Tiger make those special noises my head and heart goes back to a tiny little baby we found in Laos in 1968. God I miss him!
BTW the Bubster never lived in a cage.
He was always shown love from a bunch of very dangerous men who’s hearts melted when they met him. To discipline him you grabbed a handful of hair and flesh on his shoulder and simply said no. He never retaliated he just complied. When I said he never lived in a cage the decision about the zoo where he ended up was a research zoo that was very excited because of gene diversity. It also had the new concept of no animals in cages. People were the ones in cages or behind glass. It took a bit for him to get back to being a tiger, but after he figured out the male female thing nature took it’s course and he was off to the races and made a ton of tiger babies who are in zoos around the world. God Bless to my knowledge was the only SF tiger in the history books.
A interesting side note is that SF and MAC V were in many ways involved with the CIA.
The coats and ties back in Langley, VA couldn’t understand how our intel was so accurate.
Picture a NVA prisoner strapped into a chair and questioned. Also picture the prisoner telling us in multiple languages to go F ourselves. So a hood goes back on and the prisoner was told to spill the beans or we were going to feed the zip to our tiger. They all laughed their asses off and said we were crazy. Enter the bubster and have his head about two feet from the prisoner, pull the hood off at the same time I would pinch the back of Bubbas neck. He roared in the dinks face with his extremely nasty tiger breath and the prisoner pissed his pants or worse while he sang like the Mormon tabernacle choir.
God I miss that stuff. BTW our intel was so accurate the pencil necks were amazed and never found out why!
It's not diversity, it's displacement.

PhuBai68

Re: Special Forces in Laos Facebook Post

Post by PhuBai68 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:32 pm

Bored out of my mind with the continuous coverage of COVID-19 I flipped around on the station guide and came across a little heard of battle where Marines were outnumbered 40 to 1 by the NVA in a battle near the DMZ.

https://www.historynet.com/valor-at-dai-do.htm

Jim Mathias

Post by Jim Mathias » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:05 pm

Accounts of Whites overcoming what seems to be impossible odds are heartening. Imparting the lesson that "We can if we will" and "Never quit" is always timely.

Really like this thread, PhuBai, keep it up.
Activism materials available! ===> Contact me via PM to obtain quantities of the "Send Them Back", "NA Health Warning #1 +#2+#3" stickers, and any fliers listed in the Alliance website's flier webpage.

PhuBai68

Post by PhuBai68 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:41 pm

Jim Mathias wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:05 pm
Accounts of Whites overcoming what seems to be impossible odds are heartening. Imparting the lesson that "We can if we will" and "Never quit" is always timely.

Really like this thread, PhuBai, keep it up.

Okay Jim.
I just received my latest VFW magazine just this morning and there was an excellent story of Firebase Illingworth that was very near the Cambodian border.
It was set up to shell the NVA coming down the Ho Chi Min trail - also is thought to have been used as "bait" to get the NVA to attack out in the open.
After this horrific attack a Medal of Honor, two Distinguished Service Crosses and I believe two Silver Stars were earned (unlike Jessica Lynch's Silver Star).
25 US dead and 54 wounded.
I did a search and found this story ........

http://we-were-soldiers.com/2019/06/my- ... il-1-1970/

PhuBai68

Post by PhuBai68 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:11 am

↑↑↑↑
Firebase Illingworth
Now this soldier's story is much different than the one in the VFW magazine.
When that issue becomes available online I'll post it.

PhuBai68

Post by PhuBai68 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:06 pm

I'll try to keep this fairly short and just post a link at the end.

After volunteering to join the Marine Corps, volunteering to go to Vietnam (after being COMPLETELY TRAINED in my MOS on the CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter for approximately a year & ¼ at MCAF Santa Ana) I get stuck in a H&MS squadron.
Once you're in an outfit you are in it!
There's no getting out because every unit needs people.
Finally I got out, helicopter gunships, UH-1E Hueys.
TAT 101 on nose, two M60's on each side, a rocket pod on each side, a M60 for crew chief and for the door gunner.
After passing my aircrew training I would volunteer for Prairie Fire missions mainly because if TSHTF there was action.
So we get the call that one of the Special Forces/Indigenous teams in Laos is in deep trouble.

Okay, rewind ---
When flying in South Vietnam we had one call sign (I'll use a hypothetical names here) say while in RVN we're Raven Wing but if flying Prairie Fire in Laos we are now Tiger Tail.
So we head out on this call --- the pilot, co-pilot and team on the ground can all talk to each other, the crew chief and gunner can talk to all BUT the ground, each other in aircraft --- so I hear the team on the ground saying "TIGER TAIL TIGER TAIL POPPING SMOKE FIRE ON EVERYTHING NORTH OF THE SMOKE!" all the while hearing gunfire and this blood curdling moaning while this communication is happening.
We roll in with the pilots firing the 2.75" HE rockets and side guns, I start putting my tracers as close as possible to that smoke and hear, "THAT"S IT TIGER TAIL! THAT"S IT! YOU'RE PUTTING THEM RIGHT ON TOP OF THEM!"
By god I got a lump in my throat and thought after all these wasted months over here I've FINALLY done something!
I honestly don't remember much after that, if Army Cobras came in after we exhausted our ammo or what.

http://www.macvsog.cc/sog,_an_overview.htm