Cleveland City Council examines public comment rule changes after anti-Semitic comment

Summaries and links to news items
JohnUbele

Cleveland City Council examines public comment rule changes after anti-Semitic comment

Post by JohnUbele » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:39 pm

"...Cleveland City Council President Blaine Griffin shut down public comment twice during the Sept. 25 council meeting after Griffin said one of the speakers made an anti-Semitic remark and a negative comment about the LGBTQ+ community.

Griffin said a second speaker was stopped after he started invoking individual names, and another speaker was cut off after exceeding the three-minute time limit. Griffin said the incidents have Cleveland City Council looking into potential rule changes for public comment during council meetings.

"Anytime that I have the gavel, I am going to shut people down whenever they insult any race, gender, sexual orientation or religious affiliation", Griffin said. "It was a very sad commentary about what public comment is supposed to be doing. I’ve heard from several LGBTQIA community members, I have heard from several Jewish Community leaders, I’ve heard from the Jewish Community Federation"..."

Source:
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/loc ... 25-meeting