EF 2

Informal discussions
PhuBai68

EF 2

Post by PhuBai68 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:10 am

I guess sometime between 3:20 to 3:45 Easter Sunday night -actually Monday morning- hell came through riding a pale horse.
Luckily no real damage to our house, a small bit to my building - broken electric mast and some aluminum flashing ripped off.
So power out, no water, no landline, no TV, no internet.
We have a whole house generator -had a partial house generator in WV for the important items, a 10KW B&S which after that late June 2012 derecho had us w/o power for 8 days made us aware "whole house" if and when we moved- so could not understand "why" no water.
Monday my wife called the county, called the electric, Charter-Spectrum (via cellphone) just to make sure.
County told her they just clear a path opening the roadways.
Tuesday there's a crew clearing the downed trees from the road, I think it's the county, Nope!
It's a crew out of Georgia hired by the electric company.
They did a beautiful job - all white men, BTW.
Melvin, a black guy (with those tiny braided pigtails down past his shoulders) shows up from Spectrum in a van so I step outside and say, "Yeah, I know. The electric has to be cleared, poles replaced, a line crew put up new cable, splicers put it together and cut in new terminal taps. It'll be a few days."
He agrees and leaves (and probably takes a couple hours on his time sheet).
Wednesday a crew from North Carolina come and place new poles, run new power neutral, primary and transformers.
We now have power.
Thursday another contract crew comes and places a new strand, runs the cable lashing it to the strand following by a contract splicer putting it together and the terminal taps in.
Still no internet, TV or landline - I'm guessing THAT has to be done by a Charter-Spectrum employee.
I tell my wife, "You better call. They're gonna think all is well and dandy out here."
She calls and reports again.
She gets a call back from an obviously black male "repairman" that the earliest he can be here is Sunday.
OKAY now ••• a bit of info for those NOT in "the know".
All that needs to be done is the little protective cap on the terminal tap is unscrewed and removed, the co-ax feed to our house inserted and the B nut tightened down. It would take you longer to attach a hose to an outside faucet than restore our service.
No sooner than the black "repairman" gets off the phone and another call from Spectrum, a man will be out before 9.
A repairman shows at 7:50 pm (white man) and I'm watching Tucker by 8:05.
Want to bet a black repairman shows up tomorrow (and takes 2½ hours OT) to restore our service?
Attachments
storm 5.jpg
storm 5.jpg (583.09 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
storm 4.jpg
storm 4.jpg (556.49 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
storm 2.jpg
storm 2.jpg (519.69 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
It's not diversity, it's displacement.

C.E. Whiteoak

Re: EF 2

Post by C.E. Whiteoak » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:42 am

Glad you are OK PB68. Also glad you did not have to depend entirely on knee-grows. That would have been a heck of a fix.

PhuBai68

Re: EF 2

Post by PhuBai68 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:38 am

According to "The Weather Channel" it looks like we're in for round two although they're saying it'll probably stay south of us and follow the I-20 corridor.
It's not diversity, it's displacement.