More Parents Choose Homeschooling Due To Common Core

RobertJordan

More Parents Choose Homeschooling Due To Common Core

Post by RobertJordan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:28 am

As Common Core champions like Jeb Bush, Bill Gates, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce continue to attack parents, teachers, and taxpayers for what they claim are “myths” spread about the centralized standards initiative, many parents across the nation are not convinced.
They are refusing to subject their children to the stress, pressure, and confusion associated with the Common Core by opting out of the assessments aligned with the standards, or by withdrawing them from school and choosing homeschooling instead.
WHNT 19 News in Alabama reports a growing number of families making the decision to withdraw their children from school in order to homeschool because of “confusion,” “chaos,” and stress related to the Common Core standards.
“It [Common Core] has caused chaos in our house, and it’s not worth it,” said Lori Peden, who has withdrawn two of her children from McBride Elementary in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. “The teachers are not comfortable teaching it. They’re frustrated. Parents are upset, kids are not making good grades. That’s what I’ve seen.”
Peden said she never had plans to homeschool her children, but did so after she observed her son struggling with Common Core math assignments in which he was required to find and learn up to half a dozen different pathways to the same final answer, an endeavor that created confusion and constant stress.

School district to mother: No Common Core opt-outs, let us humiliate your kids
By Robby Soave.
An Ohio school district told a worried parent that she wasn’t allowed to opt-out of Common Core testing for her kids–and then it forced the kids to be weighed and measured as part of body mass index testing.
The angry mother, Sarah Lewis, said her request to opt her kids out of any school-sponsored Common Core testing was vigorously rejected by Celina City SchoolsSuperintendent Jesse Steiner, according to The Heartland Institute.
“[O]n the recommendation of legal counsel, I am rejecting your request for your child to ‘Opt Out’ of any and all testing,” wrote Steiner in an email to Lewis. “Your child will be expected to follow the same educational procedures as the rest of the student body.”
Lewis opposes implementation of the Common Core standards, a controversial set of curriculum guidelines and standardized testing currently being implemented in most states.
Read more from this story HERE http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/28/schoo ... your-kids/

Cosmotheist

Re: More Parents Choose Homeschooling Due To Common Core

Post by Cosmotheist » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:13 am

Hello Folks,

"Common Core" is just one of many reasons to home school your children, if you can:
http://whitebiocentrism.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1316

Best regards,
Cosmotheist

hasel

Post by hasel » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:32 am

Yeah, I totally agree with you that more parents choose homeschooling their kids. Another reason behind it is that the kids who go through early childhood education will significantly score well in academic education. I also trained my kids using fun and interactive activities. I used online teaching resources like http://www.kidsfront.com/word-picture-match.html for getting ideas for them.

Will Williams

Post by Will Williams » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:00 am

hasel wrote:Yeah, I totally agree with you that more parents choose homeschooling their kids. Another reason behind it is that the kids who go through early childhood education will significantly score well in academic education. I also trained my kids using fun and interactive activities. I used online teaching resources like http://www.kidsfront.com/word-picture-match.html for getting ideas for them.
Your experience and your input about home-schooling is appreciated, hasel. Thank you.

The site you link to for early childhood looks pretty good at first glance. One thing I look for in home-schooling curricula is whether or not it is Christian based ever since I heard that around 75% of them are just that: Christian indoctrination. Is that really what impressionable, White children need in their most formative years?

So, in the Word/Picture Match section it was good to see for the letter X there is an Xmas tree:

http://www.kidsfront.com/word-picture-match.html

Unfortunately, in another coloring book section tagged Religion we find this:

http://www.kidsfront.com/coloring-pages ... _3086.html
[MLK, Jr. Day] is celebrated as day of service. People from all ages will come together and work for improving lives, bridge social barriers and establish national equality across nation.

All home-schooling curricula should be carefully evaluated as to their suitability for racially conscious home-schoolers.
There is bound to be at least one that is acceptable on every level. If not, then, with the help of no nonsense White home-schoolers, the National Alliance will come up with our own that fits our pro-White belief system.
If Whites insist on participating in "social media," do so on ours, not (((theirs))). Like us on WhiteBiocentrism.com; follow us on NationalVanguard.org. ᛉ

Will Williams

Post by Will Williams » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:26 pm

Home-schooling has gained much traction since this WB topic was opened seven years ago. It's not just restrictions due to COVID-19 or Common Core that's driving parents to yank their kids from the government run indoctrination factors (public schools).

Critical Race Theory, i.e. guilt trip on Whitey, is not mentioned in this Washington Times article, but we know it's a factor among Whites.

It can't be bad that even Blacks and Browns are also moving to home-school their kids.

---

Nosedive in public school enrollment
reflects homeschool boom

Homeschooling more than doubled in 2020 from 5% to 11%

By Lance Izumi
December 6, 2021

Student enrollment in public schools has nosedived as parent disgust with school COVID-19 policies, student learning losses, and controversial education policies have gone through the roof. In the wake of this enrollment implosion, homeschooling has boomed across the country.

At the beginning of the current school year, the U.S. Department of Education estimated that 1.5 million students had left public schools since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

If students are not enrolling in public schools, where are they going? The numbers show that many former public school students are now being homeschooled.

The U.S. Census Bureau found that the percentage of homeschooling households more than doubled in 2020 from 5% in spring to 11% in the fall.

In Virginia in 2019-20, around 38,000 children were being homeschooled. A year later, in 2020-21, state data showed that the number had risen to nearly 60,000.

According to a recent University of Michigan study, from 2020 to 2021, the enrollment at public schools in Michigan fell by nearly 46,000 students, which represented a more than a 3% drop. Among kindergartners, there was a decrease of more than 11%.

The study found that homeschooling rates jumped substantially in the fall of 2020, with homeschooling accounting “for a majority of Michigan’s students who did not return to the public system.” Importantly, the study noted, “national trends in homeschooling follow a similar pattern.”

The increase in homeschoolers does not come from just a narrow segment of the American population. A University of Washington Bothell analysis found, “The diversity of homeschoolers in the U.S. mirrors the diversity of all students nationally,” including all racial, religious, political, and income groups.

For instance, the Census Bureau found that among African-American households, the increase in homeschooling was much steeper than in the country as a whole, rising from 3% to 16%, a five-fold jump.

This increase in African-American homeschooling is not surprising given recent research by McKinsey & Company that found “Students in majority Black schools ended the [2020-21 school] year with six months of unfinished learning.”

Demetria Zinga, one of the country’s top African-American homeschool YouTubers, says, “I believe homeschooling is growing and exploding amongst African Americans, and there will be more and more homeschoolers.”

She believes that this growth will be facilitated by “more resources available, in general, but also with regard to the African-American community, in particular, especially online that make it easier for people to homeschool.”

Homeschool mom Magda Gomez, an immigrant from Mexico, has become an activist for homeschooling in the Hispanic community.

She observes: “We Hispanics as a culture are usually very protective and loving towards our children. However, I explain that love is not enough to raise our children. We have to educate ourselves in different areas [of education], especially since we are not in our [native] country but are immigrants.”

“It is my dream,” she says, “to see more Hispanic families doing homeschool.” Her dream is coming true with homeschooling doubling among Hispanic households, from 6% to 12%.

In addition to the racial diversity of homeschoolers, in 2021, the school-choice organization EdChoice found: “Many parents of children with autism, ADHD, and other neuro-developmental disorders report that public schools cannot effectively address their child’s specialized learning needs.”

As opposed to the rigid structure that schools often impose on special-needs children, homeschooling allows parents to address their children’s particular needs.

Pediatric nurse and homeschool mom Jackie Nunes unenrolled her special-needs daughter from public school, saying, “There just wasn’t enough of the things that matter—time, attention, patience, persistence, passion, support.”

Viewing the growth of homeschooling, Virginia homeschool leader Yvonne Bunn says, “I think it will permanently change the landscape of education. I don’t think it will ever go back to the way it was before.”

The COVID-19 pandemic has exposed all the flaws in the one-size-fits-all public schools, which is why the homeschooling boom is shaking up American education.
---
• Lance Izumi is senior director of the Center for Education at the Pacific Research Institute. He is the author of the new book The Homeschool Boom: Pandemic, Policies, and Possibilities. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... ects-home/
If Whites insist on participating in "social media," do so on ours, not (((theirs))). Like us on WhiteBiocentrism.com; follow us on NationalVanguard.org. ᛉ